cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Very simple telnet question

waztrix01
Level 1
Level 1

Lets say I have a router that is connected to four other routers on the following interfaces:

FastEthernet0/1: 192.168.1.1 (connected to a router with IP 192.168.1.2)

FastEthernet0/0: 192.168.2.1 (connected to a router with IP 192.168.2.2)

Serial0/0/0: 172.16.1.1 (connected to a router with IP 172.16.1.2)

Serial0/0/1: 10.10.1.1 (connected to a router with IP 10.10.1.2)

If I connect to this router through a console connection, and I use the routers telnet function to telnet to for example the 172.16.1.2 router - what IP address will this telnet request originate from (seeing as the router has 4 different IPs)? Will it change if I telnet to another router, say the 192.168.1.2 router?

3 Replies 3

smace
Level 1
Level 1

By default it will source from the interface closest to the destination. However, you can statically determine which interface you want it to source from by entering: ip telnet source-interface <interface id> in global configuration mode. After that, it will always source the outbound telnet session from that interface.

Hello

Just like to add the defined source address you select - Make sure its not being negated by any acls etc and its allowed access.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

chsarkar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Waztrix, just login to the router and do telnet <IP address>. Make sure you able to ping the IP addresses. it wont change the src as long as you dont configure source-interface in global config.

Please rate if you find this useful.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card