cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN 1 migration

ben.hansen
Level 1
Level 1

Been a part of this network for several years.  It started flat, as we've grown we've added more VLANs for VoIP, Storage, vMotion etc.  All the while, we've had our users and servers on VLAN1.  I now have the task of migrating us away from VLAN1.  I'd prefer to do the following:

1. Preserve existing subnet with my users/servers but change the vlan assigned to it
  2. shut down vlan1 
  3. reassign mgmt vlan and renumber

Creating VLANs seems straight forward, as is trunking the various VLANs per port.  What I'm still confused about is how do I tell the switches what the new mgmt VLAN is?  Also, a bit confused on how to truly separate mgmt (CDP, STP etc) traffic from everything else.  In my mind, I guess I'm thinking trunk mgmt traffic on uplinks only with the exception of IT Dept workstations but doesn't this still mix the traffic?  Would this still be considered best practice in theory or am I missing something?  Help/guidance appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What I'm still confused about is how do I tell the switches what the new mgmt VLAN is?

So, if the new vlan is vlan 10 for example, create this vlan on each switch and move the IP from vlan 1 to the new vlan and than shut down interface vlan 1. Now add vlan 10 to all your trunks. Now this is your new management vlan with existing IP subnet.

As for CDP, STP, etc.. even after you shut down vlan 1, these protocols still use it for management and control traffic.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card