Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan 1 not allowed on a trunk

jabouaf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to not allow the vlan 1 on trunks.

The native vlan of those trunk could be this vlan 1.

We are using RSTP for several tagged vlans (with MAC addresses reduction).

and also CDP, UDLD

(cat4500,  IOS, sup6-E)

I'm looking for information about what is beeing send throuhgt this vlan 1 even if it is not allowed.

the link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml#topic13   

section "The Case of VLAN 1"

gives some information about DTP, PAgP, CDP, VTP  but some others are not listed here.

Those protocols listed are used between the 2 directly connected neighboors.

Does someone have some more information  or links  ?

regards,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jabouaf wrote:

Hello,

and also CDP, UDLD

(cat4500,  IOS, sup6-E)

I'm looking for information about what is beeing send throuhgt this vlan 1 even if it is not allowed.

the link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml#topic13   

gives some information about DTP, PAgP, CDP, VTP  but some others are not listed here.

regards,

Vlan 1 = CDP/PagP/STP (for vlan 1)/VTP/UDLD

were there any others you were thinking of ?

Native vlan = DTP

So if native vlan = vlan 1 then all of the above are on vlan 1. If the native vlan is not vlan 1 all the above are on vlan 1 except DTP which is on the native vlan.

If you clear both vlan 1 and the native vlan off a trunk it will not affect the above protocols being carried across a trunk link.

Jon

View solution in original post

jabouaf wrote:

Hello Jon,

Thank you for the answerd.

So, those protocols  CDP/PagP/STP (for vlan 1)/VTP/UDLD   are still running even if  vlan 1 is cleared from the trunk

DTP will go on working, but on the native vlan . I 'forced' the trunk to on so it is ok. So I then can change the native vlan and remove from the trunk this vlan 1. Changes should be the same to the remote side of course.

the 'others protocols I was thinking are the ones that I don't know but are like  existing from the section "the case of vlan 1" of the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml#topic13

"This pruning does not include all the control protocol traffic that is still allowed on the trunk (DTP, PAgP, CDP, VTP, and others)."

So I wonders what  those others protocols are ?

Thank you for your help.

regards,

You can also clear the native vlan off the trunk link and DTP will still work as well.

"Others" is just a catch-all i think for any other Cisco control protocols that get put on vlan 1. I'm not aware of any more other than the ones we have listed but you never know

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jabouaf wrote:

Hello,

and also CDP, UDLD

(cat4500,  IOS, sup6-E)

regards,

Vlan 1 = CDP/PagP/STP (for vlan 1)/VTP/UDLD

were there any others you were thinking of ?

Native vlan = DTP

So if native vlan = vlan 1 then all of the above are on vlan 1. If the native vlan is not vlan 1 all the above are on vlan 1 except DTP which is on the native vlan.

If you clear both vlan 1 and the native vlan off a trunk it will not affect the above protocols being carried across a trunk link.

Jon

Hello Jon,

So, those protocols  CDP/PagP/STP (for vlan 1)/VTP/UDLD   are still running even if  vlan 1 is cleared from the trunk

DTP will go on working, but on the native vlan . I 'forced' the trunk to on so it is ok. So I then can change the native vlan and remove from the trunk this vlan 1. Changes should be the same to the remote side of course.

the 'others protocols I was thinking are the ones that I don't know but are like  existing from the section "the case of vlan 1" of the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml#topic13

"This pruning does not include all the control protocol traffic that is still allowed on the trunk (DTP, PAgP, CDP, VTP, and others)."

Thank you for your help.

regards,

jabouaf wrote:

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your help.

regards,

You can also clear the native vlan off the trunk link and DTP will still work as well.

"Others" is just a catch-all i think for any other Cisco control protocols that get put on vlan 1. I'm not aware of any more other than the ones we have listed but you never know

Jon

Hello Jon,

Thank you for this information (porecision ?).

Best regards,

Jean-David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card