Announcements

Community Helping Community

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

VLAN vs Control/Mangement/Data Protocols

I am currently studying for ICND1. I just suddently got curious which VLAN do protocols use. 

I guess my questions is pretty not worthy, but I desparately want to know. I tested some protocols I have learned on the Packet Tracer and figured out that CDP, VTP, PAgP somehow always use VLAN1 no matter VLAN1 is a native VLAN or blocked from the trunk port. DTP seems to always use the native VLAN. I googled about this and figured out that control and management protocols always use VLAN1. However, I don't think this is the right answer cuz according  ARP and ICMP are considered as Control Plane protocol, but when I tested, they didn't always use VLAN1. 

Everyone's tags (5)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Mentor

Re: VLAN vs Control/Mangement/Data Protocols

Hi

The control protocols are sent using vlan 1 even when its shutdown thats why its recommenemded not to use vlan1 for production traffic as your mixing it with control traffic

Best practice shut vlan 1 down diss-allow from trunk and then only control traffic passes it and no transit traffic , if you shut it down and still allow on trunk as native vlan your susceptible still to attacks and flooding

1 if you want further classifcation of control protiocl you can use a feature called CoPP

2 CDP/PAGP/VTP are some of them

3 You can control ICMP in the control plane to rate limit if required to prevent issues   , read below on ICMP https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/81815

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VIP Mentor

Hi

The control protocols are sent using vlan 1 even when its shutdown thats why its recommenemded not to use vlan1 for production traffic as your mixing it with control traffic

Best practice shut vlan 1 down diss-allow from trunk and then only control traffic passes it and no transit traffic , if you shut it down and still allow on trunk as native vlan your susceptible still to attacks and flooding

1 if you want further classifcation of control protiocl you can use a feature called CoPP

2 CDP/PAGP/VTP are some of them

3 You can control ICMP in the control plane to rate limit if required to prevent issues   , read below on ICMP https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/81815

View solution in original post

Beginner

Thank you very much :)
Beginner

My friend who has a CCNP Cert told me that it is possible to remove the VLAN 1 in CISCO SW. Is it true? I have been thought it is impossible to remove the VLAN 1.

VIP Mentor

No not possible as even when shutdown at l3 and no ports assigned it carries the control protocols

Beginner

Thank you very much :)
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad