cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan won't come up

Just_here
Level 1
Level 1

I just got handed taking care of our switch's at work and have some questions, i have not worked with switch's that much but i know a little.

i have a 2960 with 3 vlans 1 vlan for the ports 1 for the trunks and 1 for management with an ip. the switch is up and passing traffic but i can't seem to get my management vlan to up up. vtp settings are ok i have done a shutdown and no shut on the vlan still down down. We have 2950's running the same type of config so not sure if this is something new with the 2960 i have attached a config.  thanks for any help

16 Replies 16

Agree with Khaled earlier, this looks like vtp issue

Could you paste us the vtp info.

Cheers

I realize I'm several years late to the party, but I just ran into this issue and I believe I know what's happening.  It is a VTP issue, a bug in packet tracer as I understand it and here is where everything goes wrong:

If you have a core switch that has VTP enabled in server mode, if you do not switch the VTP mode to client on the devices beneath it, the VLANs will not be learned from the core switch.  This does not cause the VLANS to go down on the core yet, but if you enter the command "Switchport Access Vlan 10" in a layer 2 switch below your core switch, you will receive a message saying "VLAN 10 does not exist, creating vlan 10." 

This will shut down VLAN 10 on your core switch and you will no longer be able to use VTP to learn about VLANs on your core switch.  As far as I can tell, this is not what happens in real life, but is a bug in packet tracer.  Make sure to use the command "VTP Mode Client" on the switches underneath your core to learn about VLANS before configuring anything about them manually if you are going to use VTP to learn about VLANS from another switch.  

If anyone else has this problem, I hope this helps.

-Ian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card