Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS - 3 switches

We have a working VSS setup, and the customer is going to build a new MDF in a different floor. The basic idea is to move one of the VSS pair to the new MDF. As a part of this project, we already have a 3rd switch in the new MDF as a swap switch. Obviously, we arent going to VSS all 3 switches together, but wanted to confirm the approach.

All IDFs are dual connected to the existing VSS switches in ground floor. 

1) first step is to build new fibers to the new MDF from all floors, and add it to the existing port channel. 

2) When ready - shut down the VSL link to the 2nd switch, or shutdown the 2nd switch....

3) connect the VSL link to the new switch to new MDF... and bring it up as a VSL pair - how about the config on the switch.. can it be blank ? I dont want to create config differences, and make the 2nd switch boot in recovery mode... Only 1 consideration is I CANNOT reboot the primary switch in the VSS cluster, which will create a downtime for the whole network.

4) Is it also a good idea to just swap the supervisor module - so that the VSS switch thinks its pairing to the same switch , with the same config ?

Let me know if you need more info on this.

Regards

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

how about the config on the switch.. can it be blank?

Yes, the config should be blank.  Just make sure the new switch has the same exact supervisor as the primary switch and also has the same exact IOS version and feature set.

s it also a good idea to just swap the supervisor module - so that the VSS switch thinks its pairing to the same switch , with the same config ?

This is good idea. if you erase the config before attaching it to the new switch.

Also, follow this doc for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/109334-replace-vss-sup-proc-v1.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card