Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Recovery & Standby mode issue

ajit.kushwaha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I have configured two VSS 6504 cat switches with VSL and Fasthello links.

When i am removing VSL links abruptly , as per the Fasthello function and VSS, standby switch is becoming active switch and starts working.

But Previously active VSS switch enters in the recovery mode & remains same ...untill unless i am not giving manual reset to this switch only then it comes to standby mode.

Is this the expected behaviour ? even after restoring the VSL link.

Or do we have any automatic process or extra configuration commands by which , after restoring VSL links recovery mode switch can come back to standby mode ?

Thanks,

Ajit

5 Replies 5

Hello Ajit,

the switch that is in recovery mode should initiate a reload by itself when the VSL is restored.

The messages below should be displayed on your console:

Dec 26 17:01:31.165: %DUALACTIVE-1-VSL_RECOVERED: VSL has recovered during dual-active situation: Reloading switch 1
Dec 26 17:01:31.811: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested Reload Reason: Reload Command.

That is the to-be-expected behavior. You can manually force a switchover by issuing the 'redundancy force-switchover' command.

The fact that your standby doesn't automatically recover and reload...could be an IOS version problem. Which version are you running ?

Hello,

I found this caveat:

If the running configuration of the switch in recovery mode has been changed without saving, the switch will not automatically reload. In this situation, you must write the configuration to memory and then reload manually using the reload command. Only configuration changes applied to VSL ports on the switch can be saved. All other configuration changes are discarded as the node reboots as VSS standby.

Hi Gpauwen,

Thanks for your kind help !!!

I am having the below mentioned software image & DFC4 card on both the machines.

Cisco IOS Software, c6lc2e8 Software (c6lc2e8-SP-M), Version15.2(1)SY1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc6)

After switch enters in the recovery mode ,it stays there and i dont see logs as mentioned by you ..

Dec 26 17:01:31.165: %DUALACTIVE-1-VSL_RECOVERED: VSL has recovered during dual-active situation: Reloading switch 1
Dec 26 17:01:31.811: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested Reload Reason: Reload Command.

Configuration of both the chassis is also in synch.

Please let me know if any further checkes can be performed ?

Thanks,

Ajit

Hello Ajit,

have you saved the running config of the switch that is in recovery mode to memory ?

Hi Gpauwen,

Thanks for the reply...

As now it seems VSS/VSL/Fasthello is working fine...i didnt do any changes although.

I will be doing some more testing and get back to you.

Thanks a lot,

Ajit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card