Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS with SUP 2T

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears

I have 2 no's 6509 chassis in VSS with sup2t and ASA-SM installed, as I know that the dataplane is active for both switches so the cisco says that I we will get the throughput of 4.0 tbps but the ASA-SM only supports 20 gbps, and all vlan interface are created on ASA-SM module so there all bottleneck happens, Customer is not ready to move any vlan interface to the 6509 MSFC by bypassing ASA-SM.

so how the ROI should be explained to the customer of SUP2T with ASA-SM if installed.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

per slot 80gbps half duplex without over subscription and per slot 160Gbps full duplex with over subscription.

Actually no not really.

It is 80Gbps in one direction. So for full duplex ie. both directions it is 160Gbps.

Still no oversubscription.

However a module with 16 x 10Gbps port can generate 160Gbps of traffic in one direction and this would be oversubscription.

The difference is for full duplex you count traffic going both ways.

Jon

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hard one to answer really.

A lot depends on traffic patterns as much as anything else ie. if you have a lot of traffic between vlans and these are all local to the VSS then yes you have effectively created a bottleneck by pushing them through a firewall.

Bear in mind that if most of the traffic is routed to remote networks then your uplinks also become bottlenecks although you could probably get more uplink capacity than your ASA gives you.

Of course there are obviously other benefits with VSS in terms of ease of configuration, redudancy etc. and it really comes down to your priorities.

But yes, if throughput was the primary reason for using VSS then by using the ASA you may as well have brought cheaper switches and a standalone firewall to be honest as you are wasting a lot of the capacity.

And if the customer has bought into buying VSS because of the throughput it's going to be hard to explain why they spent so much and can't actually use that capacity.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Of course the main issue is not the VSS but the fact that the customer wants to firewall all vlans and you will always be limited by the firewall throughput.

However if they later decide to route some or most of the vlans on the MSFC then the purchase of VSS is going to make that person look very good :-) ie. no need to purchase new switches to meet the increased demand.

So it's a balancing act and the customer needs to be aware of the potential issues beforehand.

Jon

Dear Jon,

1) It's an ASA service module inside the 6500 chassis and not the ASA standalone appliance. All Network in the world will reach to a place where they have to push the traffic to firewall where definitely the speed will reduce from tbps to gbps and not every organization can place high end firewall with 10 GIG ports with better throughput, so from your reply what I understand is that VSS benefits only with an intervlan routing. 

Bear in mind that if most of the traffic is routed to remote networks then your uplinks also become bottlenecks although you could probably get more uplink capacity than your ASA gives you.

how to get more uplink capacity ??

Of course there are obviously other benefits with VSS in terms of ease of configuration, redudancy etc. and it really comes down to your priorities.

can you list more.

2) I have read the SUP2t Datasheet saying per slot 80gbps I hope it is half duplex becz if I put 16 port 10 gig module the bandwidth will reach till 160 Gbps , please correct ???

3) I have attached 4 port 40 Gbps module datasheet, so what it says that with all ports sending traffic will reach to 160gbps per slot if a chassis populated with 40 gig module and all set to send traffic with full bandwidth than it only reaches to 1.7 tbps which is less than 2tbps.

4) I have another doubt that 6500 chassis backplane support only 40 gig so incase if the module is sending traffic with 160 gbps than how it handles.

Thanks

1) I know, I was saying you may as well buy cheaper switches ie, not modular in which case you would need a standalone firewall

2) Yes it is 80Gbps per slot. If you use a 16 x 10Gbps module then for that slot it will be 2:1 oversubscribed.

If you wanted to run the ports without oversubscription you could only run 8 and you would enable performance mode.

3) Can you point out where in the document you are getting the figures from.

4) not sure what you are asking. You have already said sup2T supports 80Gbps per slot so why are you saying it supports 40Gbps per slot ?

Jon

1. OK
  2. so if I don't oversubscribe it will reach till 880 gbps for 13 slot chassis which is very far to reach 2 tbps, so the figure SUP2T (2 Tbps) cisco is mentioning for oversubscription calculation.please correct me.
  3. it is not mentioned in the datasheet just populating the 13 slot chassis switch with 4 port 40Gig module and doing calculation,

Maths:

40gig * 4 ports = 160 Gbps

11 slot chassis * 160 Gbps= 1760 i.e 1.7Tbps

so I have reached to conclusion that 6500 chassis with SUP2T any slot will not exceed more than 160 Gbps in oversubscription scenario.

4) My mistake.40 GIG was for SUP720 , so SUP 720 was having very less capacity for populating with 10 GIG links.

Thanks

You cannot push 160Gbps per slot in one direction although slightly confusingly you do then double up the output because it is full duplex.

With a sup2T a VSS scales up to 4Tbps not 2Tbps. 2Tbps is the figure for a standalone chassis.

So the maths -

11 x 2 = 22 because this is VSS so both chassis are forwarding on the data plane.

22 x 80Gbps =  1760Gbps or 1.7Tbps

then because it is full duplex -

2 x 1.7.Tbps = 3.4Tbps

Note the full duplex does not mean each slot can push 160Gbps in one direction because the connection is still only 80Gbps but it is 80Gbps both ways so your figure is doubled up.

So that figure is the total amount you can push through.

If you run 16 x 10Gbps ports on each module you can still only push 80Gbps per module through but you will have oversubscription on your modules.

Jon

Dear Jon,

Please correct if i am going in wrong direction.

per slot 80gbps half duplex without over subscription and per slot 160Gbps full duplex with over subscription.

If calculate for single chassis with one SUP2T:

11*80=880Gbps

then because it is full duplex -

2 x 880= 1760 Gbps i.e 1.7 Tbps which is less than 2Tbps

I have another question also,

If i have 2 chassis installed with 2 no's  SUP2T what benefit will give me by installing 2no's SUP2T in each chassis, they both can be active at a same time giving more bandwidth.

thanks

Basically yes in what you are saying about the bandwidth.

The figure is less because you are not including the supervisors whereas Cisco do for that total amount.

Do you mean if you have 2 x sup2T in both chassis ?

If so they won't give you any more throughput per module, that is fixed per slot.

Whether you can use the uplinks on the secondary sup to forward traffic not sure.

I can probably look it up but can you confirm what you mean ?

Jon

Thanks for the 1st answer,

If i have 2 chassis installed with 4 no's  SUP2T what benefit will give me by installing 2no's SUP2T in each chassis, they both can be active at a same time giving more bandwidth ??? 

Pls explain what will be benefit if option 1 without VSS and Option 2 with VSS

thanks

You've lost me now :-)

What exactly is the question ?

If you have dual sups per chassis that does not increase the bandwidth per slot because it is fixed per slot which I said above.

Do you mean do you get more bandwidth because of the supervisor uplinks ?

And why are you asking about it without VSS ?

Jon

Dear Jon

u r on the leader board i appreciate your replies and bare with me.

If you have dual sups per chassis that does not increase the bandwidth per slot because it is fixed per slot which I said above.

OK i agree with you  than why cisco provides a design of dual SUP in one chassis wht benefit customer can get????

Do you mean do you get more bandwidth because of the supervisor uplinks ?

yes can i get more ??

Thanks

As far as I am aware with VSS and two supervisors per chassis both supervisor's uplink ports can be used for forwarding data even though one of the supervisors is in standby mode.

Jon

thanks for the chain of reply for my queries

Dear Jon,

As per your reply below.

As far as I am aware with VSS and two supervisors per chassis both supervisor's uplink ports can be used for forwarding data even though one of the supervisors is in standby mode.

2 no's SUP2T will not provide 4 terabytes capacity with single chassis and 8 terabyte  with dual chassis in VSS??? , if you say only uplinks are used then

8 X 10GIG = 80GIG between the chassis.

thanks

Dear Jon,

any suggestion on my last reply.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card