Can anyone explain this scenario?

Thanks & Regards,

Srinadh Kodali

6 Replies 6

GFWAFBCCO
Level 1
Level 1

Srinadh,

Yes. While switch 2 is in transparent mode, it forwards VTP updates to it's trunk ports. Assuming switch 3 is in the same VTP domain and has the same password as Switch 1 that is.

-Steve

Hello Steve,

You are correct, however, it is necessary that the Sw2 has either no VTP domain name set (i.e. it is NULL), or the domain name is identical to the domain name set on Sw1 and Sw3. If the Sw2 has an explicit VTP domain name configured that is different from the domain name at Sw1/Sw3, it will not pass VTP messages even though it is configured as transparent.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for the clarification. I never noticed that. I will definately play with that in my lab! Not to hijack the thread, but how would you troubleshoot a scenario where a VTP v1 transparent switch is in the middle? Assuming you overlook that detail.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your generous rating. As for the "troubleshooting VTPv1", can you be more specific on what you exactly mean?

Best regards,

Peter

mrdogantr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Transparent—VTP transparent switches do not participate in VTP. A VTP transparent switch does not advertise its VLAN configuration and does not synchronize its VLAN configuration based on received advertisements, but transparent switches do forward VTP advertisements that they receive out their trunk ports in VTP Version 2.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

hth

Muammer

Muammer,

Must have missed your post. I see how to troubleshoot it. Good information!

-Steve

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card