Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN setup for cisco router 1812 and 1814

daspos_147
Level 1
Level 1

hello 

thanks for your time . i am quite new to ccna routing and switching self study .

can i connect Cisco router 1812 to Cisco router 1814

In 1814 i can have DTE-DCE module but in 1812 there is no port for it and i cannot install any module in it . there is no space in it 

i like to know how i can connect two 1812 to each other or 1814 to 1812 if its possible . which ports i will use to make WAN connection between them .i am practicing  on my home lab 

thanks again 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, 1812 does not support any serial interfaces.

Masoud

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

Unfortunately, 1812 does not support any WAN module. It is fixed configuration.

I suppose you meant 1841 instead 1814. 1841 supports plenty of WAN modules.

I suggest you to connect two routers by Fastethernt interfaces to simulate WAN.

Please take a look at the link below for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1801-integrated-services-router-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a95f.html

Hope it helps,

Masoud

i cannot connect  1812 to 1841 for WAN as i understand from above link . thanks 

No, 1812 does not support any serial interfaces.

Masoud

and 1812 cannot connect to 1812 for WAN through crossover cable 

1812 is designed for metro connection. You can connect two 1812 routers by Ethernet crossover cable. It has 8 fastethernet interfaces for internal network and 2 fastethernet interfaces for external network( let say WAN or metro). Use those two interfaces for connecting two routers( simulating WAN connection instead of using serial) and use other 8 interfaces for practicing VLAN and interVLAN routing.

Masoud

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: