cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is "Total Output Drops"?

prerak007
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing some congestion type of issues on 7609s. I am seeing output drops on multiple interfaces that I know is a problem but having difficulty trying to figure out the source or reason for drops. So would like to get some insight into output drops. What logic Cisco uses to tag a packet as output drop? or what are the qualifiers for a packet to considered towards "output drop"? 

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Prerak007,

output drops may be a sign of an excessive traffic over a group of ports that share an ASIC hardware chip.

if you see these counters on linecard modules less then WS-67xy modules, you are likely facing performance issues

see the following document for more details

>> When you use either the WS-X6548-GE-TX or WS-X6148-GE-TX modules, there       is a possibility that individual port utilization can lead to connectivity       problems or packet loss on the surrounding interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801751d7.shtml#ASIC

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card