cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is Sun Proxy Admin and why is internet explorer browser set to use proxy on port 8081?

Vishal.Seetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've got a serious problem. My colleague and I are setting up a new network and there are a few computers on the network. She has configured a few user accounts on Active Directory under different groups. While I can browse the internet when logged on, say on computer A, as users in certain groups, I am not able to browse the internet when logged on as users in other groups which have less priviledges on the same computer. When I ran Wireshark, I noticed that network traffic is being redirected to a server, say Server X, on the network to port 8081 which is used by Sun Proxy Admin. We have'nt installed Sun Web Proxy on server X although we have installed Cyblock Proxy (a software URL filter). However, we haven't set the internet browser on computer A to use the proxy server yet and also Cyblock proxy is listening on port 8888 instead of port 8081.

I did a netstat -aon on Server X and did not find the port 8081 open and that's probably why I can't browse the internet.

My questions are:

1. Why is the internet explorer browser set to use a proxy server on port 8081 on Server X without my knowledge?

2. Why is it so just for users in certain active directory groups only?

3. If it is a virus directing all network traffic to the port 8081 on Server X, then why would it do so only for certain users?

4. If it is a virus on Server X, then why did a netstat -aon on Server X not show that any application is listening on port 8081?

5. Or is it that I am stupidly missing any configuration on active directory for these users?

Active Directory sits on Windows Server 2008 R2, Server X is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and computer A is Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Vishal

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card