cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which spanning-tree command to use?

clybumat1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working to migrate a private network to a separate LAN.  The private network contains switchports with scanners connected to them.

I'm wondering what type of STP to configure on the new switchports on the new LAN for the scanners.  Currently they are setup with the command spanning-tree link-type point-to-point on the old switchports.

Should I use this same command on the new switchports?  Typically we use spanning-tree portfast edge on our regular user ports.

Please help enhance my knowledge of STP.. :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

point to point is used between switches so I don't think you should use that for a scanner as its an edge device

You should use spanning-tree portfast and also use spanning-tree bpduguard , you can apply these globally or per interface

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

point to point is used between switches so I don't think you should use that for a scanner as its an edge device

You should use spanning-tree portfast and also use spanning-tree bpduguard , you can apply these globally or per interface

Just to add to Mark's post, recommend you use a "rapid" STP variant.  Cisco switches often will default to a non-"rapid" STP variant.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card