cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why we configure bandwidth value to a interface?

DuJin0509
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Why we configure bandwidth value to a interface ? Is it possible to utilize this value to rate limit ?

If I adjust the bandwidth for a one gig ethernet interface from 1000 to 10, what is the real transit capacity for this interface now?

Thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

the bandwidth statement is only for the actual IGP routing protocol to calculate the correct metric , it does  not effect the bandwidth of the physical interface

http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/dc/reference/cli/nxos/commands/l2/bandwidth__interface.html

Usage Guidelines

The bandwidth command sets an informational parameter to communicate only the current bandwidth to the higher-level protocols; you cannot adjust the actual bandwidth of an interface using this command.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

the bandwidth statement is only for the actual IGP routing protocol to calculate the correct metric , it does  not effect the bandwidth of the physical interface

http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/dc/reference/cli/nxos/commands/l2/bandwidth__interface.html

Usage Guidelines

The bandwidth command sets an informational parameter to communicate only the current bandwidth to the higher-level protocols; you cannot adjust the actual bandwidth of an interface using this command.

Thank you for your help.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Why we configure bandwidth value to a interface ? Is it possible to utilize this value to rate limit ?

As already noted by Mark, setting the bandwidth statement informs other protocols of the amount of logical bandwidth, and whatever it's set to doesn't normally impact the available physical bandwidth.  For example, routing protocols might use the bandwidth setting for metric calculation.  Interfaces will often use it for link loading percentage computations.

I think I recall some of the later IOSs support percentage based policing.  If they do, they might use the bandwidth setting.

If I adjust the bandwidth for a one gig ethernet interface from 1000 to 10, what is the real transit capacity for this interface now?

Again, if you're changing the bandwidth statement, and there are not QoS statements using it, the only difference you might see is on the interface's bandwidth loading stats.  I.e. for the same actual bandwidth usage, it should show a percentage 100 times larger.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card