cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will changing to HRSP standby address require a reboot of router ?

jomo frank
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Expert,

I using HRSP for router redundancy, recently we made some changes to our network and this will require a change in the virtual (standby ip)

address of HRSP configuration,

Hence I would like to know if this change is effected will a reboot of both router be necessary.

Below is subset of the current configurations for the two routers.

Standby address 192.168.81.3 will be change to 192.168.81.1

interface Vlan1
description Production Vlan
ip address 192.168.81.4 255.255.254.0
no ip redirects
standby 10 ip 192.168.81.3
standby 10 priority 120
standby 10 preempt

interface Vlan1
description Internal Interface
ip address 192.168.81.5 255.255.254.0
no ip redirects
standby 10 ip 192.168.81.3
standby 10 priority 110

standby 10 ip 192.168.81.1 ---------------------------------NEW STANDBY ADDRESS

Regards

Jomo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't believe it will, but you should change the standby router first before changing the primary. After changing the primary, you'll need to make sure that whatever hosts were using the .3 as a default gateway is also changed to .1.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't believe it will, but you should change the standby router first before changing the primary. After changing the primary, you'll need to make sure that whatever hosts were using the .3 as a default gateway is also changed to .1.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Should be no need to reboot routers.  I would, though, be concerned about changing the virtual gateway IP, for the same group, while any HSRP group peers are active.  What John suggested might work fine, but I would recommend taking down the standby group peer(s), then changing the IP for the hot HSRP peer, then reactivating the standby group peer(s) (also with the new IP).  Functionally, this should be like changing the interface's "real" IP.

Another method, if your devices support mHSRP and you're not committed to using a particular group number, define the new IP under a new standby group.  This can ease the transition of hosts from old to new IP as both will work.  Once the transition is completed, remove the original standby group.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card