Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and AP

Hello Guys,

Please i would need your support for my client,

i have client that just got 22 units of 2802i AP's, they have existing 2702i and 3502E AP's all connected to a 5508 WLC, this are my challenges;

1. we were asked to upgrade the 5508 WLC from 7.6 to 8.5 before the 2802i will be visible on the WLC but will the 2702i and the 3502E still be visible after the upgrade and how will i upgrade it?

2. they also got 3850 and 2960 switches and they want me to stack them together, is it possible to stack the 3850 and the 2960 switch together?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

as for item 2: you cannot stack different models together. You need to have either 2960s or 3850s, not both together in one stack ( the switches also need to run the same feature packs, e.g. IP Base and IP Services on different switches in the same stack won't work)...

View solution in original post

Hello

@RasulAdelakun7278 wrote:

Hello Guys,

i have client that just got 22 units of 2802i AP's, they have existing 2702i and 3502E AP's all connected to a 5508 WLC, this are my challenges;

1. we were asked to upgrade the 5508 WLC from 7.6 to 8.5 before the 2802i will be visible on the WLC but will the 2702i and the 3502E still be visible after the upgrade and how will i upgrade it?

You need to very careful, performing a upgrade to a WLC , As when you do so if you haven't preconfiured it correctly you could incur outage to all wifi clients as the aps will automatically see an newer ios version on the wlc and will also reload so to download the new software from the wlc.

I would suggest a two staged approach

1) Download the new software to the the wlc and make it the config backup, this will keep the current old image the primary just in-case of unexpected reload of the wlc.

2) Once your are happy for the aps the get upgraded make the new backup software the primary and reload the wlc which will in turn make the aps see this new software on the wlc and force a upgrade of them also.

2. they also got 3850 and 2960 switches and they want me to stack them together, is it possible to stack the 3850 and the 2960 switch together?

No these two switch models cannot be stacked together but they can be connected via trunks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

as for item 2: you cannot stack different models together. You need to have either 2960s or 3850s, not both together in one stack ( the switches also need to run the same feature packs, e.g. IP Base and IP Services on different switches in the same stack won't work)...

Hello Georg,

Thank you, but is it possible to link the 3850 and 2960 in any way?

Hello,

as Paul mentioned already, you cannot put them in the same stack, but you can configure a port channel consisting of several member trunks to increase bandwidth, or with just a single trunk...

Hello

@RasulAdelakun7278 wrote:

Hello Guys,

You need to very careful, performing a upgrade to a WLC , As when you do so if you haven't preconfiured it correctly you could incur outage to all wifi clients as the aps will automatically see an newer ios version on the wlc and will also reload so to download the new software from the wlc.

I would suggest a two staged approach

1) Download the new software to the the wlc and make it the config backup, this will keep the current old image the primary just in-case of unexpected reload of the wlc.

2) Once your are happy for the aps the get upgraded make the new backup software the primary and reload the wlc which will in turn make the aps see this new software on the wlc and force a upgrade of them also.

No these two switch models cannot be stacked together but they can be connected via trunks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card