Helpful
Replies

WS-C3850-24S-S with GLC-SX-MM-RGD

Arotec2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

some help needed please?

We have a WS-C3850-24S-S populated with Cisco GLC-SX-MM SFP's.

One of the fibre runs from the Cisco fibre switch goes to a Planet GTP-805A media converter with a MGB-SX sfp. The media converter has an IP camera connected to it.

This set up does not work. (So to clarify - Cisco C3850 to Planet GT805A does not work)

As a test, we replaced the Cisco C3850 with a Netgear GS110TP with AGM731 SFP and this works fine.
If we use another Planet GTP-805A with MGB-SX (so Planet to Planet) this works fine too.

All SFP's (the Cisco's, Netgears and Planets) are all 850nm Multimode Fibre SFP's.
As far as I can tell they all adhere to IEEE 802.3z

We also tried using the Cisco SFP in the Planet media converter but this did not work.

I suppose the question is - do Cisco SFP's connect to other brands?

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The GLC-SX-MM does support other brands so you might have another issues there than sfp compatibility , is it down/down when connected by Cisco or is it up/down

This 100% Cisco compliant 1000Base-SX SFP gigabit transceiver is hot-swappable and designed to plug directly into the SFP/MINI-GBIC interface slot of your router or network switch. It will provide a MultiMode fiber LC ethernet connection. Works with many brands of routers and switches such as HP, Cisco, 3Com, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link and more!

Think I see your problem the 3850 does not support the RGD sfp only standard GLC-SX-MM , that RGD looks to be supported in Industrial switches

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc450806443

Hi Mark,

thanks for all your help!

We found the problem! We had set up the ports to accept connections from specific MAC addresses only. Cleared that on the relevant ports and all is now OK.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card