cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C90 Directories

Karlostavitch
Level 1
Level 1

We have a medically certified application which utilizes the Cisco C90 via its API and Telnet. The issue we have is that this specific application references the local address book and not the corporate address book which is replicated through the organisation. Is there anyway to copy the address books via script or alter any setting in the C90 so that is references the corporate address book when the local address book is requested via the API?

Any advise is appreciated and we would be potentially interested in contracting any party who is able to assist with this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You'll need to change the app so it searches the right phonebook via the API commands it's using.  There's not any way on the endpoint to tell the endpoint to re-direct the API lookup on the local directory to the corporate phonebook.

So, in the app, where it's currently doing a

xCommand Phonebook Search

you'll need to have it adjusted to do a

xCommand Phonebook Search PhonebookType: Corporate

Have a look at the API Reference Guide for more details (Page 121).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

Maybe the rules are slightly different in your country, but from my 11 years of previous esperience working in Health with many medically certified products in this part of the world, simple changes like this were able to be made without affecting the overall certification of the product.  Similar with firmware updates on devices - these were allowed, especially to address security vulnerabilities.  As long as they didn't affect the overall purpose of such software.

Getting the corporate directory out of the endpoint (or TMS or whatever is provisioning it to the endpoint) may prove to be the difficult bit.

Once you have the directory, you could create a script, to re-format it in to the XML file format used by the endpoint's local directory - an example of a simple one I just created with two contact is as below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<LocalPhoneBook>
  </Contact>
  <Contact localId="localContactId-1" type="Person">
    <DisplayName>CSIRO Test</DisplayName>
    <ContactMethodGroup type="only_one_group">
      <ContactMethod type="Video" localId="1">
        <Uri>0262463194@csiro.au</Uri>
        <Protocol>H323</Protocol>
        <CallRate>0</CallRate>
        <CallType>Video</CallType>
      </ContactMethod>
    </ContactMethodGroup>
  </Contact>
  <Contact localId="localContactId-2" type="Person">
    <DisplayName>Cisco TAC Loopback</DisplayName>
      <ContactMethod type="" localId="114">
        <Uri>loopback@rtp.ciscotac.net</Uri>
        <CallRate>0</CallRate>
      </ContactMethod>
    </ContactMethodGroup>
  </Contact>
</LocalPhoneBook>

You can then import this to the endpoint via the web interface (unless you're running an old version of the TC software on the endpoint) via the Configuration > Local Contacts Management page (Import/Export buttons are near the top right corner).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Let me move this post to Telepresence community so you get support from TP experts. This community is for Cisco Unified MeetingPlace and Cisco WebEx Meetings Server products.

I hope this will get you to the solution faster.

-Dejan

thobonho2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm not sure to understand what you're aiming for, so let's try to clarify first. For the moment, your application is querying the C90 local phonebook and you would in addition to get contacts from the corporate phonebook. Is that correct?

Also, where does the corporate phonebook come from? Is there a TMS in that setup?

Hi,

The application is querying the local phone book however it does not need to query the local phone book at all, we only need it to query the corporate endpoint directory. I am not sure if there is a TMS in that setup but I will find out and update this thread.

Thanks,

You'll need to change the app so it searches the right phonebook via the API commands it's using.  There's not any way on the endpoint to tell the endpoint to re-direct the API lookup on the local directory to the corporate phonebook.

So, in the app, where it's currently doing a

xCommand Phonebook Search

you'll need to have it adjusted to do a

xCommand Phonebook Search PhonebookType: Corporate

Have a look at the API Reference Guide for more details (Page 121).

Wayne
--

Wayne

I agree with Wayne; that's what you need to change... if you have access to the code

Hi Wayne,

Thanks very much for your informed response.

Unfortunately in this case, since it is medically certified software, changes to the application are not possible. Changing the code would mean recertifying the application and this process can take up to a year and anyway the vendor would not do this for a single site.

Is it possible to create a script that copies the corporate endpoint directory to the local cisco directory?

any thoughts regarding the possibilty of copying the corporate endpoint directory to the local directory via script or otherwise?

That's definitely possible to write a script but it involves a lot of parsing to extract all contact details and it can also be tricky to rebuild the same folder structure locally.

I just wonder if it is worth the effort. Do you have an idea on how many contacts are we speaking?

Hi Thobonho, 

We are talking hundreds of contacts and in this case its not for a one off copy, it will need to be updated regularly as the directory is updated.

Maybe the rules are slightly different in your country, but from my 11 years of previous esperience working in Health with many medically certified products in this part of the world, simple changes like this were able to be made without affecting the overall certification of the product.  Similar with firmware updates on devices - these were allowed, especially to address security vulnerabilities.  As long as they didn't affect the overall purpose of such software.

Getting the corporate directory out of the endpoint (or TMS or whatever is provisioning it to the endpoint) may prove to be the difficult bit.

Once you have the directory, you could create a script, to re-format it in to the XML file format used by the endpoint's local directory - an example of a simple one I just created with two contact is as below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<LocalPhoneBook>
  </Contact>
  <Contact localId="localContactId-1" type="Person">
    <DisplayName>CSIRO Test</DisplayName>
      <ContactMethod type="Video" localId="1">
        <Uri>0262463194@csiro.au</Uri>
        <CallRate>0</CallRate>
      </ContactMethod>
    </ContactMethodGroup>
  </Contact>
  <Contact localId="localContactId-2" type="Person">
    <DisplayName>Cisco TAC Loopback</DisplayName>
      <ContactMethod type="" localId="114">
        <Uri>loopback@rtp.ciscotac.net</Uri>
        <CallRate>0</CallRate>
      </ContactMethod>
    </ContactMethodGroup>
  </Contact>
</LocalPhoneBook>

You can then import this to the endpoint via the web interface (unless you're running an old version of the TC software on the endpoint) via the Configuration > Local Contacts Management page (Import/Export buttons are near the top right corner).

Wayne
--

Wayne

I wouldn't go this way since the import feature is supposed to be used with xml files that have been previously generated by the codec itself. Getting contact details into the xml isn't that hard but you will have to deal with all the id's for contacts, folders and contactmethods and it's where it can get complicated in my opinion.

But to be sure, I would need to see the output of a search on the corporate directory, which I can't do myself as I don't have one.

As I said to Karl in a private message, I've got the parsing part working and I'm able to get all contact information formatted. Next, I was going to recreate the folder structure and contacts by using the API commands to let the system handle the id's.

thobonho2
Level 1
Level 1

Message edited and moved to the correct place, in response of Wayne's post