Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Telepresence server content quality

Hello,

We have a Cisco Telepresence server which is currently set to run 720p 30fps video quality and 720p 5fps content quality. This all works fine but if we share content and this contains any animation or mp4 type files then the participants experience judder which is to be expected at 5fps.

However, if I then amend the content quality to 720p 30fps this make no real difference. On the PC playing the video file or presentation all looks OK but then endpoints still get a stuttering picture of anything shared. 

Model: cisco Telepresence server on media 320

Software : 4.0(1.57)

any suggestion ?

Regards,

Rehan

9 Replies 9

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Rehan -

You don't mention what endpoints you're using that you're trying to send content to the TP Server from?  So I'm going to base this off of endpoints that run TC software such as C/EX/MX/SX Series endpoints.  If you're using something else, let us know.

Typically by default Cisco codecs have there presentation channel set to sharpness, which means it prefers high resolutions over high frame rates.  The other setting, which is motion, is the exact opposite of sharpness, but comes with a lower resolution.  The reason you see the content on the PC and local endpoint that is sending perfectly fine, is because you're seeing it straight from the source, as the far-end sees it after it gets processed by the codec, so what they see is based on the quality settings of that particular input the PC content is connected to on the codec, ie: sharpness or motion.

From the admin guide of a TC software based endpoint:

Video Input Source [input #] Quality
When encoding and transmitting video there will be a trade-off between high resolution and high frame rate. For some video sources it is more important to transmit high frame rate than high resolution and vice versa. The Quality setting specifies whether to give priority to high frame rate or to high resolution for a given source.

Motion:
Gives the highest possible frame rate. Used when there is a need for higher frame rates, typically when a large number of participants are present or when there is a lot of motion in the picture.

Sharpness:
Gives the highest possible resolution. Used when you want the highest quality of detailed images and graphics.

Paul Motton
Level 1
Level 1

Hiya,

We have got exactly the same problem and we are also running identical server model and software. I have tried amending the Video options on the SX10 endpoints from the default "Sharpness" value to "Motion" but this makes no difference when sharing video content.

Regards

Paul

Paul -

What bandwidth are you using for your call?

As the main video channel and presentation channel share the total bandwidth it could be that it's no high enough to allow the resolution and frame rate you're looking for.  By default, each channel gets 50% of the bandwidth when presentation content is being sent.  You can change the percentage of bandwidth that each channel uses by going to: Conference 1 VideoBandwidth and adjust the settings within there (Mode, MainChannel Weight, and PresentationChannel Weight).

Try your call at a higher bandwidth and see what happens.

Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for the reply, will give that a go and see if it makes any difference.

Hi Patrick,

I tried amending the weights and this made no difference. That said I have just submitted a number of logs to our support provider so will let you know what the issue was.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

SX10 supports the following according to the datasheet:

Datasheet link

BFCP (SIP) dual stream
Resolution up to WXGAp5

So it supports 5 fps max. Setting it to motion should make no difference.

/Magnus

Good catch Mangus, I forgot about that with the SX10.

Thanks Magnus.

Hi Paul, do you remember if in the end you were able to achieve the 30fps you deired? If so, do you actually recall what did the trick in the end? Thanks a ton.