cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring SX20 for Audio Calls

permalldnit
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 x new Cisco SX20's and want to use them to make audio calls. Both are stand alone and I am able to make video calls between them.

I want to be able to make external Audio calls. I have Call Manager but I don't have licenses to register them. Is there a way to hook the SX20's to cloud SIP providers so that Audio calls can be made?

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

For the SX20 down when registered to CUCM, you need to enable Web Access to the Device Profile in the endpoint (from CUCM). Check the attached screenshot.

View solution in original post

Hi Glenn,

CUCM overrides the H323 Network Service setting it to Off automatically. This is by design, the CUCM config file does not have H323 parameters, subsequently disabling H323.

Can you try disabling provisioning (while the SX20 still registered to CUCM) and then turn on H323 under Configuration --> Network Services --> H323.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Elias Sevilla Duarte
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes the Cisco SX20 endpoints should be able to make audio only calls. When dialing a number from the web GUI, in "Edit call settings", you can select the option "Audio only", and the call will be done as an audio only call.

You can register the SX20 to a SIP service provider, if it is a standard SIP proxy.

HTH

Thanks Elias,

I just tried setting to "audio only" and it still fails. Logs say network rejected and caller not registered.

I think something must need to be configured or I am not calling correctly. At the moment I am just trying to make a call to a mobile.

The SX20 has internet access with no restrictions, do you know what I need to set to connect to a sip provider?

Sorry I am new to this type of device.

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

The SX20 is capable of making audio calls, but depending on the type of call it might need to be registered to a SIP Proxy server.

For point to point calls, (e.g SX20 --> SX20) you do not need a SIP registrar, the endpoints just need to be configured as "Standalone" devices. For this, you can check this threads.

H.323 Standalone.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11606926/sx20-standalone

SIP Standalone.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12212026/sx10-call-type-scenario

For calls towards a PSTN number (your mobile), you need to register the device to a SIP Proxy with a connection to the PSTN.

You need to know the SIP Proxy IP address or FQDN, and need to assign a SIP URI to the SX20, so it can be identified within the Proxy server.

SIP URI reference.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12545126/sip-uri-dialing

I uploaded a screenshot on what fields to configure for SIP.

HTH

When you say a SIP Proxy with a connection to the PSTN do you mean my PSTN. We have Call Manager inhouse, I have tried registering it but everytime it registers, it takes the sx20 down and I can then only get to it via telent and have to backout all the changes.

For the SX20 down when registered to CUCM, you need to enable Web Access to the Device Profile in the endpoint (from CUCM). Check the attached screenshot.

Elias,

Thanks, for all the info, my last problem is that I haven't got any licenses for my SX20's on Call Manager as I don't want to pay a lot of money if it doesn't work.

Is there away to get an eval license? Even without the license and the device "registered" will I still be able to make calls? I can see the Call Manager complaining it is out of licenses but not sure what the impact is.

Thanks,

Glenn

CUCM can run fine for 60 days without licenses, and then a license need to be used. I do recommend you to check with your Cisco Sales Rep if you require a demo license (and if it's been more than 60 days on your CUCM installed).

I am not sure if a demo license exist for CUCM, perhaps someone else seeing this thread can give us some light on CUCM demo licenses?

Elias you have been very helpful.

I have added the web details and set the provisioning so that it now uses CUCM. Just waiting to get access to the room to test which I won't be able to do for a while.

I can see the SIP Proxy is now registered on the SX20 and also registered ont he Call Manager and the SIP address is the number-assigned@subscriber-address

I am also now still able to get to the unit via HTTP.

One more question, we have these SX20's in all our offices and we make video conference connections over our internal WAN will this still work or does the registration to the CUCM cause problems with this? I only ask as 99% of the calls we do are internal video calls.

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

When SX20s register to CUCM, CUCM pushes a configuration file that disables H323. (This if you are using Provisioning in CUCM).

If the internal calls are made using IP Dialing (most of the time in H323 protocol), registering the devices to CUCM may cause problems, only if you configured "Provisioning" to CUCM only, otherwise you can ignore this, as your H323 calls would still keep working.

When registered to CUCM, you will still be able to make internal calls by dialing SIP URI or DN in SIP, so either way you will be able to communicate with internal endpoints.

HTH

My understanding is that the only way for the SX20 to register in CUCM is to set the CUCM in "Provisioning".

I am still waiting for the room to be come empty so haven't had time to test yet.

Elias,

I have done testing and now all I can do is SIP Audio calls and I cannot call any of my other VC units over the internal WAN.

Can I not switch H323 back on so that I can call my other internal units and have both functionality?

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

CUCM overrides the H323 Network Service setting it to Off automatically. This is by design, the CUCM config file does not have H323 parameters, subsequently disabling H323.

Can you try disabling provisioning (while the SX20 still registered to CUCM) and then turn on H323 under Configuration --> Network Services --> H323.

Making those changes I can now make internal video calls but cannot make SIP calls. Errors I am getting are:-

DISCONNECT CAUSE - Connection closed by remote side

DISCONNECT CAUSE CODE - 0 (SIP)

DISCONNECT CAUSE TYPE - OtherRemote

It didn't ring on the vc unit I just got "cannot connect call"

Elias,

I tried again and it's now working, have done multiple tests and all looks good.

Thanks for all your help.

Glenn