cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DX SERIES ERROR/WARNING MESSAGES

Chet Cronin
Level 4
Level 4

CISCO is far about detailed install, deployment, user guides and api admin guides but where the heck are the warning/error message listings ???? 

And what they mean and what is a fix action ???  

Example:  DX70  

Diagnostics ....

Warning:  Other diagnostics check: CaptivePortalDetected

Warning:  Other diagnostics check: SIPListenPortAndRegistration 

Well the system has a good H323 and SIP registration and working fine.

I have been on the CISCO website for about 45 minutes trying to find information about the two Warnings with no luck??

Any one out there got any ideas what CISCO docs will have that information...  

I have experience the same issue with VCS warnings and failures ... no documentation .... to define warnings and what actions to take ...

Seem like a common problem with CISCO ... 

YEP Frustrated Tech. 

Chet Cronin
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The CaptivePortalDetected message would seem to refer to the device being on a WiFi network where there is some sort of portal where the user needs to agree to an acceptible use policy, or click on some link before the network becomes fully operational.  Obviously, this isn't something that's going to work nicely with a TelePresence endpoint that needs access without any end user interaction.

You've probably seen similar captive portals in cafes, airports, etc on other mobile/WiFi devices.

The message is saying that it has detected something similar on the network you are currently connected to.

The Cisco AnyConnect client does the same thing - see Technote 118086.

If you're using a wired connection, you should not see this warning - you will instead see "Not Applicable: Other diagnostics check: CaptivePortalDetected".

As Patrick said - the other Warning message about the listen port can be fixed with xconfiguration SIP ListenPort: Off

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The SIPListenPortAndRegistration diagnostic warning was added recently in TC7.3.9 due to bug CSCvd39804.  I know because I ran into that bug and had a case open for it.  Cisco recommends when the endpoint is registered to a call control server that SIP ListenPort be turned off, CUCM does this automatically, however VCS/Expressway doesn't, hence the diagnostic warning.

Couldn't find anything regarding CaptivePortalDetected.

Gents,

Thank you.   I performed the xconfiguration sip listenport: off  and the CaptivePortalDetected still shows up. 

The WIFI section in Network Services is set to False but no change. ???

VR

Chet

Chet Cronin

Hi Chet - did you get this one sorted?

I just installed a Spark Room Kit Plugs (9.1.4). Its on a wired connection, however have the following error: WARNING: Other diagnostics check: CaptivePortalDetected

@Richard Greig - It's only a "warning", not an "error", so can be safely ignored.

I'd recommend upgrading to the newer CE9.1.5 or CE9.2.1 releases on your RookKit due to the security vulnerability fixes in those.  I haven't seen those captive portal messages appear on my CE9.2.x endpoints like they did in the earlier CE9.x releases.

Another workaround for the problem that has been mentioned elsewhere to get around similar captive portal issues is to allow all your endpoints to be able to get through your network and firewalls to *.clients3.google.com/generate_204

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The CaptivePortalDetected message would seem to refer to the device being on a WiFi network where there is some sort of portal where the user needs to agree to an acceptible use policy, or click on some link before the network becomes fully operational.  Obviously, this isn't something that's going to work nicely with a TelePresence endpoint that needs access without any end user interaction.

You've probably seen similar captive portals in cafes, airports, etc on other mobile/WiFi devices.

The message is saying that it has detected something similar on the network you are currently connected to.

The Cisco AnyConnect client does the same thing - see Technote 118086.

If you're using a wired connection, you should not see this warning - you will instead see "Not Applicable: Other diagnostics check: CaptivePortalDetected".

As Patrick said - the other Warning message about the listen port can be fixed with xconfiguration SIP ListenPort: Off

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

I am using a wired connection, I have this warning - "Not Applicable: Other diagnostics check: CaptivePortalDetected".

None of the posted solutions apply to this error message.  I need assistance please.

A "Not Applicable" message on the diagnostics screen is not an error or a warning - you do not need to worry about anything listed as "Not Applicable" as those listed as that are not an issue.  You only need to be concerned with anything listed as a "WARNING" at the top of the list in Yellow.

Wayne

I most recently received the error when Upgrading from Android to CE. Something changed on the http://upgrade/cisco.com/DX . It upgraded to CE 9.1.4 instead the standard CE 8.3.1. I had to down grade the software load to 8.3.1 and no more CaptivePortalDetected!