Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EX60 reboot loop

Hi all

After configuring Unit Name of device via web system starts looping endless reboot.

(Cisco logo appears on the screen and then reboots)

Tryed this:

Factory Reset mechanically EX 60

1. Unplug the power cable.

2. Replug the power cable.

3. Press and hold the power button immediately when the green LED in the bottom left corner lights up. Hold until the LED turns off and on again after approximately 10 seconds.

4. Release the power button, and press it twice within 2 seconds.

no effect at all.

Console cable missing.

Any ideas?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

This is a known issue and I suspect you changed the name >= 50 characters?

You can read about a related issue here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3790388#3790388

You basically need to find a way to change the name of the unit. One thing could be that if you have access to SSH to the unit you can actually login as root before the unit reboots and write: touch /user/noboot

If you manage to do this before it reboots you can write: tsh to access the API then change the name:

xconfiguration systemunit name: something < 50 char

If you have a console cable you can use this as well to do the same.

The factory reset procedure you have followed should have done the trick. Try it again.

/Magnus

View solution in original post

Magnus,

the suggestion to stop the cyclic reboot is a good one! However, I would recommend to do a touch /tmp/noboot making the config less permanent. However, the xconfig suggestion will not work. Reason being is that the tandberg shell will crash, hence we will not be able to perform any xconfig commands. If one has root access to the box, one can move the config.db file to another name and then reboot with "clean" config.

E.g. :

[dderidde-ex90-home:/etc/early.d] $ cd /mnt/base/active

[dderidde-ex90-home:/mnt/base/active] $ mv config.db config.db.bad  

And then reboot.

Danny.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

This is a known issue and I suspect you changed the name >= 50 characters?

You can read about a related issue here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3790388#3790388

You basically need to find a way to change the name of the unit. One thing could be that if you have access to SSH to the unit you can actually login as root before the unit reboots and write: touch /user/noboot

If you manage to do this before it reboots you can write: tsh to access the API then change the name:

xconfiguration systemunit name: something < 50 char

If you have a console cable you can use this as well to do the same.

The factory reset procedure you have followed should have done the trick. Try it again.

/Magnus

Magnus,

the suggestion to stop the cyclic reboot is a good one! However, I would recommend to do a touch /tmp/noboot making the config less permanent. However, the xconfig suggestion will not work. Reason being is that the tandberg shell will crash, hence we will not be able to perform any xconfig commands. If one has root access to the box, one can move the config.db file to another name and then reboot with "clean" config.

E.g. :

[dderidde-ex90-home:/etc/early.d] $ cd /mnt/base/active

[dderidde-ex90-home:/mnt/base/active] $ mv config.db config.db.bad  

And then reboot.

Danny.

Hi Danny

Thanks for the pointers, I remember now that the shell was crashing as you said so the xconfig won't work. The tmp folder is a better idea Let's just hope root is in fact enabled. 

/Magnus

Danny De Ridder
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

without console cable, the only way to get out of this would be indeed to perform a factory reset. The procedure you describe is pre-release TC5.1.0. There's another procedure which you could try which needs to be used for release TC5.1.0 onwards. Here's a movi clip : https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/4440

Could you try that procedure?

If it succeeds, I would recommend you upgrade to TC5.1.5 first and then apply the system name again.

The ddts which causes cyclic reboots when the system name exceeds 50 characters is :

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCua98644

Regards,

Danny.

It would be handy to have some overview what are max field length and allowed charsets/characters and known bugs by device/software version and also generic limitations by protocol

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify