Views
Helpful
Replies

MCU sizing

asif.akram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am looking for any tools or any document related to Cisco telepresence MCU sizing. I collected customer requirement but now can't find anything which can help me to size the MCU. Need assistance urgently.

Asif

5 Replies 5

Assuming you are using a 5300 series MCU, each "port" can handle a call at either:

1 x 1080p@30FPS

1 x 720p@60FPS
2 x 720p@30FPS
4 x 488p@30FPS

So for instance, if you wanted the MCU to handle 20 calls at 720p and 30 frames per second, you would need an MCU with 10 ports and associated port licenses.

Please note that if you decide to run your MCU in, for instance, "Full HD mode" (i.e. 1080p at 30FPS) then every call will take a full "port", regardless of its resolution.  Likewise if you run it in "HD" mode (720p@30fps) then every call will take half a port, but 1080p capable endpoints will only connect at 720p.

Full info can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/conferencing/telepresence-mcu-5300-series/datasheet-c78-716095.html?cachemode=refresh

Please remember to rate helpful responses.

Hi Nick

Thanks for the info...smiley. I have one more query. Is number of participant, per call has any relation with the port calculation?

Asif

Hi Asif,

Yes, in basic terms, you can think of it as each participant needs a port each (for 1080p).

As Nick has indicated, if you lower the resolution that each "port" is allowed on the MCU, a single "port" licence, can be used for multiple participants, ie if you limit the MCU to 448p, you can have 4 participants on a single MCU "port" licence.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne

Now I'm little bit confused. Lets assume we want to have 10 concurrent call & each call at 720p@30 FPS can have 10 participant. Now how many port license will I need to meet this requirement?

Thanks

Asif

10 participants x 10 conferences = 100 participants. 1 Full HD "port" is 2x720p30, so 100/2 = 50 port licences. So, for something that size, you'll be needing something bigger than a 5300 series MCU.
Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.