cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quad Camera with two codecs

HenryCaban00786
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to connect a quad camera to two webex codecs and if so, how? There is only one RJ45 port in the camera.

4 Replies 4

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It would depend on what sort of functionality you are expecting to get out of each of the codecs and camera.

If you purely just want to have the video from the camera duplicated to to devices, then you can insert a HDMI DA in between the camera and the codecs to feed the same signal in to both devices, however any camera control would need to be done on the codec that has the ethernet cable connected.  

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

i really appreciate your quick response.  We want to use it on two different codecs because they are different classifications.  Do you think there is a way to instead have something like the HDMI DA you suggested but for the ethernet cable instead? So that we can still have camera control on both codecs?  well, both touch 10s preferrably

You need a programmed control network with both codecs connected to controlled power (PDUs) and the Touch 10 cables connected to a control network switch, and then you can use one Touch 10 for both codecs. When one codec is ON the other is OFF. You will need a small touch panel to change classifications, and you'll probably want to also use it to turn monitors on and off. You may also need an HDMI VDA for the content sharing, it depends on what you want to do.

It's technically possible - there are switches available on the market that should be able to do this (CAT6 A/B Switch RJ45 Remote Controlled Ethernet | Black Box - this is just an example I found using Google - I have no experience in using it).  But often hacking together solutions such as this affect the usability and stability of the systems and end up causing you more support nightmares and cost than if you just used two cameras in the first instance.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.