cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS server movement to a new TMS server hardware with new Ip address and new Hostname

rasimyigit
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I've got the task to move the current running TMS Server Appliance to a VMWARE machine. I want to move all the existing end points and settings ( databasefile, SQL ) to the new Server. Ok I know that must have create a news provisioning and Tms agent replication ect... But at the first, the important is that move clearly the hole SQL and db file. I read all guides. Any tips ?

Thx

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

5 Replies 5

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Even though there is no impact on the functionality by  moving the appliance data over to an application installation of TMS,  the serial number still reflects this as being an appliance.

I do not know how this will impact your service  contract, if any? I would advise you to consult Cisco Sales or your  Account manager to discuss the impact this will have. The appliance has a  serial number starting with 80BXXXXX and the TMS application has  80AXXXXX.

When you now transfer the database you will also  transfer the serial number. The best thing would be to get a new release  key for the application and option keys equal to those you already have  but linked to the new release key. If you are planning to shutdown the  TMS appliance this would be the best way to go. Please contact some sales  representative to discuss it, just in case so there is no fuzz later.

Here is how you transfer the database I assume you know something about MS SQL here and the management studio:

1. Unless it's already installed, install the SQL Studio management on the appliance.

2. Login, Locate the TMSNG and back it up (or detach it) 

3. Locate the backup file (or TMSNG.mdf + TMSNG.ldf), transfer it to the new server and restore it (or attach it)

4. Make sure the TMS is connected to the database

5. Test it

One particular error you can get here is "Access to TMS denied", let me know if you see this.

Note:  The SQL servers should be the same versions, since you might get some  problems restoring a database on a SQL server that differs from the one  it's backed up on. SQL 2008 is backwards compatible with 2005 so you can  attach the TMSNG.mdf and TMSNG.ldf to SQL 2008 from SQL 2005.

Most  important as well is that the TMS version you installed on the VMware  matches the version on the appliance else your in for a lot of errors

If  the versions match and the database is restored correctly your TMS is  now transferred but since all the information from the old server still  resides in the configuration you need to correct this through the web  interface, I'll leave this up to you since it's quite a few fields that  needs to be updated. You can rather ask specific questions if you  encounter problems.

If you need your provisioning  data, just backup the TMSAgent on the old server and restore it on the  new server. If you where using a custom password you might want to  delete the app.config in C:\progfils\tndbrg\tms\wwwtms\data\TMSagent\ in  order to make it authenticate to the local OpenDS on the new server.

Make sure to sort out the dns with the new server etc to make replication work again.

It's  many different errors to encounter here, so if your not confident in doing this I  suggest you open a case with TAC for assistance. But I would recommend  you to sort out any impacts in regards to the service contract before  starting or raising a case with TAC.

Hope this was of any help!

/Magnus

Magnus, how do I battle the "Access to TMS denied" issue?  I've moved the server from the original appliance to a virtual server running Win2008R2 and now any user that is not in the local Site Admin group cannot access the TMS portal. What's the workaround to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Eli

Hi

I sent you a private message on this. Check your message box

/Magnus

I seem to have a similar problem with an existing TMS that was previously working. I havent been to the clients site for a few months, and now I get the same error message when accessing from the web portal:

"Access to TMS is denied. Contact Administrator for help."

Any Ideas?

Hi Dave,

Your user simply does not have any access rights to their TMS...meaning you can authenticate and 'hit' the TMS but you have no user rights at all within the TMS application itself. BTW, this is probably well done by the customer to actually do. What you'll need to do is ask the customer TMS Site Admin to give your user access rights to their TMS, if they want to give them to you

Dale