cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMSPE install problems

Rod.Blackie
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running TMS 13.2 and can't install TMSPE on my live system. It keeps reporting that TMSPE failed to install due to a generic error.

If I build a new TMS system (on a new vm) then I can install TMSPE without problems.

My TMS system is on it's own applicaiton server and my tmsng and tmspe databases are hosted on a remote SQL instance.

I've included the latest log file from the TMSPE install if anyone can help shed some light !!!.

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems like the TMSPE database already exists in this case but still the installer is trying to create it... Can you tell me if you named the tmspe database like this: tmspe (all lower case ). It is case sensitive for the installer. You should see "Use exisiting database" on the last step before the installation starts. If you have precreated the TMSPE database and you do not see this checkbox, check if the name of the database is correct.

Another thing is that you might have detached the database from the SQL server and the tmspe.mdf is still in the DATA folder on the SQL server. If this is the case, just move the tmspe.mdf out of the folder and try the installer again, or attach the exisinng tmspe.mdf to the SQL server.

Here it the error code in the logs you attached.

TMSPE (ERROR): Database configuraiton failed.. Exception System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

Cannot create file 'J:\databases\tmspe.mdf' because it already exists. Change the file path or the file name, and retry the operation.

CustomAction ConfigureHeraDatabaseCA returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 13:53:17: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

/Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the reply. I've removed all tmspe databases and log files and made sure they have beed detached from the SQL server. I've tried installing tmspe without creating the databases and then manually creating the tmspe database both with out success.

The current TMS system is on a 32 bit 2008 server and I would like to migragte this to a 64bit 2008 server. Suppose I create the new server and install TMS 14 and TMSPE as a clean install onto the new server (which i know works) - is there a way of copying the opends data from the old server onto the new server so I can run the TMSPE migraiton tool against the opends data? If I can't do this then I think I might need to to a fresh manual install of the data which will be painfull...

Thanks.

Rod

Hi Rod

So lets assume that the TMSPE database are removed from J:\databases\ and removed from the SQL server as well. Is the installer still failing on the "database" step? What does it say right before the installer fails and rolls back?

Do the SQL user you are using have the sufficient permissions to do these actions. The log file should tell you what is going wrong right before the rollback and its usually to just rectify this so the installer can complete. The error might not be the same after you did the necessary steps to get past the previous error.

Indeed you can, you have to take the TMSAgent backup and install TMS 13.2.2 on the new server, then load the TMSAgent backup, install TMSPE and migrate, then upgrade the TMS to TMS 14.1.1. (TMS 14.1.1 does not come with TMSAgent which is why you have to do this on a lower version).

But I am pretty sure you should be able to figure it out on the current server, you just have to eliminate the factors making the installer fail

/Magnus

Hi Magnus

The error message is just the generic error " Cisco TMS Provisioning Extension Setup Wizard ended prematurley because of an error"

The SQL account used is the dbo (sa account) and has full rights over the database.

I've attached the latest log file from the failed install.

Thanks

Rod

Hi

You are getting a Java exception now. What java version are you running? Could you uninstall all java versions on the server, and remove all the TMSPE files generated by the installer till now. Then install Java 6 update 33 32 bit and reboot the server, then try to re-install the TMSPE application.

/Magnus

Magnus

I was running JAVA 6 update 38. I removed this and applied update 33 as you suggested. I also removed all tmspe databases and tried to install the tmspe system on it's own, and then again with me creating the tmspe database. both occasions the install failed with the same error message.

I've backed up and restored my opends data onto a new 13.2 server and then installed 14.1. I've changed my VCS to use tmspe and everything seems to work. I've manually had to re-import my infrastructure and endpoints as I didn't want to upgrage or copy the old database.

I've shutdown my old tms system and are happily running the new 14.1 system and tmspe. Not ideal but at least it works.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Rod

"I've backed up and restored my opends data onto a new 13.2 server and then installed 14.1."

Hmmm...not sure how you did that since Legacy TMS Agent doesn't exist in TMS 14.1.1...meaning the TMS 14.1.1 installer should of actually detected this and refused to upgrade. For example, and in this case and as Magnus explained earlier, you should of had to install and migrate to TMSPE in 13.2.x before upgrading to 14.1.1 since again, Legacy TMS Agent is gone in 14.1.1.

And keep in mind, and for others reading this post, your dealing with 2 x SQL dbs when TMS and TMSPE are being installed. One for the TMS application itself (tmsng) and the other for TMSPE app (tmspe)...meaning...and in this case, instead of having to re-import all your systems back into TMS, you could of easily used the tmsng db again since this data is contained within the TMS app (tmsng) and not TMSPE.

In any case, I'm happy you've got things going but I have to admit, I'm slightly confused on the challenges you had getting TMSPE installed and how you got there in the end

Hi Dale,

I went for a fresh install of the db for the simple reason that I was having problems installing tmspe onto the original server. Yes I could have copied the tmsng database and saved some work however I wasn't to happy about the performance of the old tms server and database.

I went to 13.2, copied the tms agent backup zip file into the new tms 13.2 backup location. I then completed a backup through tms and got my original provisioning directory information. I then installed tmspe and completed the migration. I then proceeded to upgrade to 14.1. The end game meant I got my provisioning data and had to manually create the endpoints and infrastructure - which i was happy doing.

Why tmspe never installed onto the old server? who knows? I spent the best part of three days trying every concievable configuration option and in the end ran out of patience installing it.

Just to finish I followed all documentation / provisioning guides for the install....

Thanks

Rod

Thanks Rod...that's makes better sense now, i.e. with the upgrade path And sorry to hear you struggled so much on the former server but one thing I noted from an earlier post you made is that you were on a dated OS, i.e. Win 2008 Server 32 bit. Therefore, I think your probably more happier on a later OS and keep in the mind the SQL version as well. For example, what and where was your TMS db before, i.e. external or local SQL, full version of SQL or SQL Server Express? Therefore, and since your talking performance, it's not only the application you need to think about when it comes to performance but the SQL too