Views
Helpful
Replies

TMSPE "User Import"

fantasy24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

There are few things I would like to clarify. Please assist.

In TMS PE, the software have 3 selections for User Import.

1. Active Directory

2. Active Directory w Kerberos

3. LDAP

Questions:

1. If I am using Windows 2008 AD, which selections should I choose? (Cisco TAC told me that Active Directory is Windows LDAP. Is that true?)

2. For 3 of the selections, will the password imported as well to the TMS PE?

3. For the synchronization, it will syncronize automatically or manually for all the choices above?

Appreciate your kind assistance here.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

1. Choose Active Directory, unless you have setup your AD with kerebos authentication. If not or you don't know, choose Active Directory.

You can say that Active Directory is Windows LDAP yes. Active directory provides a store for directory data and utilizes LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) (v2,v3,kerebos and DNS).

2. No the password will automatically be generated once the user has been imported to the provisioning directory. If you want the users to authenticate to AD you have to set this up on the VCS under "Authenticating Devices" and find the Active Directory configuration (X7.2). Once the users logs in the VCS forwards the request to your AD which will authenticate the request.

3. It will synchronize once every 24 hours. This is not editable and is a fixed time.

/Magnus

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Magnus Ohm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

1. Choose Active Directory, unless you have setup your AD with kerebos authentication. If not or you don't know, choose Active Directory.

You can say that Active Directory is Windows LDAP yes. Active directory provides a store for directory data and utilizes LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) (v2,v3,kerebos and DNS).

2. No the password will automatically be generated once the user has been imported to the provisioning directory. If you want the users to authenticate to AD you have to set this up on the VCS under "Authenticating Devices" and find the Active Directory configuration (X7.2). Once the users logs in the VCS forwards the request to your AD which will authenticate the request.

3. It will synchronize once every 24 hours. This is not editable and is a fixed time.

/Magnus

Thanks Magnus.

One more question.

Can I choose "LDAP" selection against Windows 2008 AD server?

The requests are not the same therefore we have different options to what kind of request that is sent. I'm not sure if its impossible to connect to AD setting it to LDAP, but since there is a specific field for AD you choose this when you are planning to import users from Active Directory.

LDAP i assume is for OpenLDAP in example..

I tried in my lab to use the LDAP option for my AD connection but it failed. I have not looked any further into this but for Active Directory you choose the Active Directory option

/Magnus

Thanks lot for the clarification.

Magnus Ohm escreveu:

So i cant authenticate to AD using TMS?

If i configure the authentication in VCS, can i still use TMS to manage users?

Hi,

No, TMS only manage users. So, basically, you can cretate, update, import and delete users in TMS then TMS sends this information to the VCS and thats all.

When you connect with Jabber/Movi to the VCS it works in this way:

Jabber->VCS->ActiveDirectory Authentication(If you enable this in VCS)

If not, TMS sends User information with passwords to tne VCS and it looks like:

Jabber->VCS(Local Database)

Best Regards,

Artem Borodai