Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Cisco ISDN Link Software

philekiert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys!

I'm missing something when trying to upload the software to the ISDN Link. I've connected it to the PC via serial cable, I can then get into the API with HyperTerminal and set the root password, but when I try to connect using WinSCP I just get the error 'gethostbyname: unknown error'. I need to input the host name obviously, this is a dumb question probably but is that the same as the system unit name?

I can't use the URL method since we have no internet connectivity to the device.

Any ideas would be very welcome, it's probably something very simple that I'm missing. The current configuration is the factory default besides the change to the root password.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

WinSCP requires that your ISDNLInk, and your PC are both on the IP network, it doesn't copy over a serial connection, you're just using the serial connection to issue the commands.  Similar with the TFTP method (which you can do to your own TFTP server, it doesn't have to be the one on the Internet).

Another option, which I believe it the easiest way to upgrade an ISDNLInk, is to do it via the web interface of the SX20 or whatever endpoint you're using it with and you can upload the file through your web browser.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

WinSCP requires that your ISDNLInk, and your PC are both on the IP network, it doesn't copy over a serial connection, you're just using the serial connection to issue the commands.  Similar with the TFTP method (which you can do to your own TFTP server, it doesn't have to be the one on the Internet).

Another option, which I believe it the easiest way to upgrade an ISDNLInk, is to do it via the web interface of the SX20 or whatever endpoint you're using it with and you can upload the file through your web browser.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne, you nailed it, thank you. All working now through WinSCP.