Views
Helpful
Replies

Video and Telephony Integration: Enterprise UC with common Dial-plan

manipandey
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

I have asked the same question under Collaboration but thought to post it under this group too as this is mainly inclined towards Video Integration. I hope this is the right place to post this question.

The enclosed design shows the proposed UC setup which is based upon CUCM (VEr 8.5), ISR Routers(G2 3900/2900Series with PVDM3), Tandberg VCS and VCS expressway..

As always Thank you for all your input..

Regards

M

The expected solution out of this design should provide following

1.Video End point(h323) can call any IP Phone by dialling 5 digit extension and vice-versa.

2.Video end point can make outbound Local,National and International call by dialling the same way as it exist for IP Phone meaning for Local and Long Distance within US by dialling 9 then 10 digit number ,For International: 9011- Country Code- E164 number

3. Video end point will have the extension within 443xx range and can be reached by IP phone by simply dialling 5 digit extension. Route pattern with 443xx will be defined in the CUCM

4. Video End point can be reached by PSTN world by dialling full E164 number i.e 1712-564-43xx . In this call, CUCM will route the call to Video set-up.

5. Common Billing to be used for both Video and Phone setup towards charge-back.

6. The most important aspect is Encryption which created all confusion and stopped my progress

Scenario:

Video Conference is going on and the participating users are :

- User on the Internet which have been joined to the conference by dialing their public IP and call established via Tandberg Expressway

-The 2nd user is an ISDN end point and call is routed through the CUCM to ISDN GW(R2)

- This is encrypted Video call

Encrypted Video Call is going on and all of a sudden there is a need to bring in an IP Phone Skinny end point(Audio only) and also a Mobile Phone user. It should be easy to bring these two user as part of the encrypted VC without dropping the ongoing VC.

I have gone through few Networkers Slide and also read that the 3900/2900 ISR supports media as well as signalling encryption and it is possible to achieve this set-up.

But because of involvement of integration with different product line (specific to Tandberg), needs clarification before starting with the lab set-up.

The interpretation of H323 RAS part when Tandberg VCS is acting as a Gatekeeper with respect to CUCM --is different than when Cisco Routers are being used as GK.

Tandberg Gatekeeper if integrated with CUCM comes into play for both Media and Signalling and always participate in the H323 call whereas if Cisco Router is acting as a Gatekeeper then once the RAS part is done Cisco GK goes out of the call.

So,

Please suggest whether anyone tried this setup? If yes then how to achieve this and what should be the link coming out of CUCM to Tandberg VCS-GK.( I think using SIP trunking will do this but not 100% sure about this). Feel free to suggest any design change or any hardware which is required...

8 Replies 8

mnour401917_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I am about to implement a similar setup, VCSc, VCSe, TMS, CUCM 8.6 and C40s, issue i have is i don't have enought time to lab it. The trunk between CUCM and VCSc will be a SIP trunk. Another suggestion is to register the end points to CUCM, not sure if you will lose a lot of features by doing that.

Thanks

@MNOUR Thanks for your response. Please do let me know how much headway you are making with your implementation....I am really interested in knowing the same...And hope someone will go in detail and will respond to my queries....with pros and cons..

thanks

Hi

As long as this is new instalation I recommend you to use SIP on all of the end points where possible and integrate with CUCM using sip trunk this will give you two main benefits

- the transformation of the called and calling number from and to CUCM will be easier

-if have end point using H323 and communicating with other end using sip the vcs will do internetworking to this call and you will need license for each internetworked call plus the media path will go through the vcs not direct between end points for internetworking

If you use sip make the end point name/sip usri as 443xx@sipdomain.com.  Calls from vcs to CUCM use search rules with trsformation so if end point dial 123456 only from vcs and the default call is sip vcs will send it to CUCM as 123456@sip domain.com you need to do transformation before sending it to CUCM and send it as 123456@cucmip. 

This is just in brief and also using the expersss way you can have your sip domain registered over the Internet and configure dns srv record point sip ton the vcs public ip and Internet calls can come to your end point sip name directly no need to publish ip to others to dial you

HTH

If helpful rate

@Marwanshawi ; Thanks for your response. I am mainly worried about SECURITY aspect as stated in Item 6.

Regarding SIP integration I am using following documenation but somehow need clarity on Item 6 of my posting and whether it is possible to do it with this integration.(Ongoing Secure Schedule conferencing and trying to bring in other user instantly without compromising on Security)

http://www.tandberg.com/support/dl.php?id=1202&dir=Deployment_Guides&fn=Cisco_VCS_Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_Deployment_Guide_CUCM_6-1_7_8_and_X5-1.pdf

Thanks

Hi

First the document for integration with CUCM above the right one

About encryption I believe you have codian mcu and TMS in you VC solution

Through tms you can control the encryption for personal endpoints through provisioning, also for booked meetings

And via the mcu you setup the encryption for multipoint calls

At the end points level you can chose to enable encryption too, but assuming other end points calling from the Internet support encryption

If not and it is big concern to then do not allow dialing from Internet directly however the user has to VPN to the network first and then they can make a call over the VPN tunnel

Hope this help

Please rate the helpful posts

Hi

I just thought i should update you with the implementation; I managed to finish most of the integration. That is VCSc, VCSe, TMS CUCM 8.6 and C2921

- CUCM phones can call C40/C20 video works both ways

- C40/C20 Can call CUCM IP phones video  works both ways

- C40/C20 Can receive and make outbound calls via VCSe

- CUCM IP phones can receive video calls via VCSe

- CUCM IP phones can receive video calls from Movi Clients

You have to be very careful when integrating CUCM and VCSc when implementing call routing, you wouldn't want some one to route calls via the VCSe and out the CUCM ISDN gateway.

You would be surprised how many people just sit and search for these kind of voip security issues/defects.

My next stage will be to try to use a Cisco 2921 to route video calls, so far I haven’t found any good documentation to achieve this.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Great and thanks for the update

for the 2921 how do you want to use it just as IP to IP GW between to diffrent places for example ?

if yes search for CUBE deisgn and config docuemnts which will help you to have IP/SIP end to end

HTH

and plz rate the helpful posts

Hi Marwan,

Hope your are enjoing your new job

At the moment still looking for the best way to achive this, IP to IP might be some thing to consider. I have impmented a 2951 with polycom using H320 ( ISDN Channel bonding), i am thinking of doing the same. The difference is the 2951 was a gatekeeper.

Thanks