cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Websocket client on Room Devices?

lukasburnes
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to open a Websocket client on the Room Codec?  I'm thinking about ways to integrate with the touch10 interface and being able to send String packets to a Crestron control system would just make everything so simple.

Everything I've read so far about websockets allows xapi to flow through Websockets From an application TO the codec, and it's functions are limited to what's available in the CE API.  I want to send FROM the codec TO a Crestron TCP/IP listener port anything I want.

Or is it possible to send custom characters through the Room Device's Serial port even?

3 Replies 3

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

With newer versions of the CE9 software (ie CE9.8 or higher), you can send http or https requests from the codec to an external device.

Have a look at the "Sending HTTP(S) requests) section of the CE9.10 Room Kit Administrator Guide or the CE9.9 Room Kit Customisation Guide.

The other option (which has been around for a long time), is that you have your Control System (Crestron, AMX, etc) monitoring the xFeedback of the codec, then get it to action whatever you need it to do when it sees the appropriate widget's feedback event.  This method is also discussed in the CE9.9 Room Kit Customisation Guide.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Could this be a feature request to allow Websocket connections from the Cisco device? While the other options you list are there, it would be nice to use Websocket.

stowellw@amazon.com wrote:

Could this be a feature request

Yes, it could, but you'd need to go through the right channels (ie your Cisco Account Manager) to get them to raise a new Feature Request (if there isn't one), or add your use case as extra weight to an existing one.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.