Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN Link Causing Packet Loss

philekiert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm having a bit more trouble with the ISDN Link. Everything functions perfectly now, I can make calls at 384k over ISDN.

The problem now is that packet loss arises (not a lot, <1% total) when connected through the Link into a LAN. To clarify, the SX20 needs to function over both ISDN and IP (it's replaced an old Tandberg Edge). In LAN calls, if I bypass the Link completely and plug straight into the wall tap, the packet loss is at 0.0%. Put it back in, packet loss is back up again. This is without changing any settings on either device.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Am I just trying to use the ISDN Link in a way in which it was never intended?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're not using it in a way it wasn't designed for - it is supposed to work that way, enabling you to make either IP or ISDN calls.  We have ours installed and operational in that way and it works well.

One thing to check could be the network cables you're using - cheap and nasty cables can often be a source of issues where using a quality cable will resolve the problem.

Also check your switch config to make sure that you're not forcing a speed/duplex setting that then isn't getting negotiated correctly by the equipment you then connect (or make sure you force the settings along the whole path if you are needing to do that).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're not using it in a way it wasn't designed for - it is supposed to work that way, enabling you to make either IP or ISDN calls.  We have ours installed and operational in that way and it works well.

One thing to check could be the network cables you're using - cheap and nasty cables can often be a source of issues where using a quality cable will resolve the problem.

Also check your switch config to make sure that you're not forcing a speed/duplex setting that then isn't getting negotiated correctly by the equipment you then connect (or make sure you force the settings along the whole path if you are needing to do that).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Cheers Wayne, I'd tried other network options (QoS, MTU) on the Link but completely skipped over that one. Tried that this morning and it's working without a hitch, thanks a lot.