Views
Helpful
Replies

Meme Monday: Run for the Roses

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yawming_1-1682885914411.png

Recently, at a gathering, I overheard that TypeScript is quickly gaining popularity. I admitted that I am not familiar with TypeScript. Later, I found out that it's a superset of JavaScript, so it's not surprising that it's becoming popular. Not everyone programs in JavaScript, but everyone sees JavaScript at work when they surf the internet.

There are so many programming languages—hundreds of them, in fact. I'm wondering if there will be a dark horse in the programming language world that will catch up quickly and exceed the current leaders. If we were to run a popularity poll, I bet that JavaScript, Java, and Python would be leading the pack. However, these languages didn't suddenly appear at the forefront; C used to be the leader, and these three languages are all part of the C family and  C still plays an important role in the industry.

Will there be a programming language that suddenly becomes dark horse? If it were to happen, I think it would be like the fax machine, losing popularity quickly and being largely replaced by email and other digital communication technologies. Does the technology in hardware drive changes in software, or is it the other way around? Or is it more of a nurture and nature situation?

Do you have any candidates in mind that you think might catch up from behind in the next few years ?

Some potential candidates include:

DB is the predecessor to the C. So after C is D ?

Go  - “Go,Go,go!” ?

Kotlin – Android fans ?

Lisp – Ahh, AI ?

Swift – It can fly ?

Zig – Last in the alphabet, it’s a long shot ?

Would seeing a dark horse emerge in the programming world be as exciting as watching a real dark horse in action?

2 Replies 2

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't have anything substantial to add to the conversation, but since it is Meme Monday, I will add two programming-related funnies to this

Coding.pngprogrammerhumor-io-raphcomic-coffee-youre-my-only-friend-c-programming-language.png

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

TypeScript is a just superset of JavaScript.  TypeScript adds static typing with optional type annotations to JavaScript; it also provides  various features, like interfaces, type aliases, abstract classes, function overloading, tuple, generic, etc.  Most of the modern web frameworks has templates for typescript.  Frankly, I avoided using Typescript because of the added overhead when I wrote my first web app with  React JS framework. I think for large web project with many collaborators, typescript is a must as it will provide a great developer experience and increase productivity

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: