cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Word of the Week: Bokeh

Ken W. Alger
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I find it interesting when words from one industry migrate out into the wild and wind up being used elsewhere. Take this week's Word of the Week: Bokeh. Bokeh started off in photography, meaning the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in out-of-focus parts of an image, caused by circles of confusion. It originates from the Japanese word, "boke" meaning "blur". Essentially, producing an image with a narrow depth-of-field results in the bokeh effect. 

Bokeh has landed in other parts of the English lexicon as well. My daughter informs me that it is used to refer to someone who is narrow-minded. As in, "That teacher is very bokeh." While I'm not entirely up to speed on the slang of today's youth, I hadn't heard bokeh used in that way until recently.

There is also a Python data visualization package called Bokeh. It is incredibly powerful and I find it easy to use. If you're looking to visual data, and you're familiar with Python, I'd highly recommend it. 

3 Replies 3

davidn#
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very cool. I'll check out the Python Bokeh library. Didn't know the slang word until now. I'll ask my daughter if she knows about it.

divitgupta
Level 1
Level 1

Nice learning!

very cool python library, I also want to embed it on my website for dubai photography studio