Views
Helpful
Replies

ThousandEyes Virtual Appliance Agent Objective

Ana C
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I tried to understand what is the purpose of Virtual Appliance Agent installed in a ESXI host, I read the official documentation, but I am not clear about the purpose of this agent.

I have an agent installed in my ESXI host, but I do not what is the type of test that I can do. If someone can told me some test examples.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

remyJe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Ana C

There are several purposes for the virtual appliance; most importantly, it saves you time, being a standardized deployment method, which is more thoroughly supported by our teams. Basic appliance settings (e.g., hostname, network configuration, and remote access) can be easily managed through a web GUI. Also, OS and package upgrades, including security updates, are automatic.

With regard to tests, all of the test types listed in the following documentation link are available for the virtual appliance enterprise agent:

Internet and WAN Monitoring > Tests 

And, you can select preconfigured test templates, which simplify the creation task. Check out the following documentation link for more detailed info:

Internet and WAN Monitoring > Test Templates 

While creating and running tests, remember to be mindful of your organization's unit allowance, as it's not uncommon for monthly limits to be reached earlier than expected. This documentation link describes ThousandEyes usage-based consumption:

Usage-Based Billing > About Units 

If you have any other questions, comments or concerns, we're always here and happy to help!

Kindly,

Jeremy Stark

Technical Consulting Engineer
    ThousandEyes (part of Cisco)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

remyJe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Ana C

There are several purposes for the virtual appliance; most importantly, it saves you time, being a standardized deployment method, which is more thoroughly supported by our teams. Basic appliance settings (e.g., hostname, network configuration, and remote access) can be easily managed through a web GUI. Also, OS and package upgrades, including security updates, are automatic.

With regard to tests, all of the test types listed in the following documentation link are available for the virtual appliance enterprise agent:

Internet and WAN Monitoring > Tests 

And, you can select preconfigured test templates, which simplify the creation task. Check out the following documentation link for more detailed info:

Internet and WAN Monitoring > Test Templates 

While creating and running tests, remember to be mindful of your organization's unit allowance, as it's not uncommon for monthly limits to be reached earlier than expected. This documentation link describes ThousandEyes usage-based consumption:

Usage-Based Billing > About Units 

If you have any other questions, comments or concerns, we're always here and happy to help!

Kindly,

Jeremy Stark

Technical Consulting Engineer
    ThousandEyes (part of Cisco)