cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk Import from CSV with comma, spaces ...

schemberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we want to import UM-Subscribers from a CSV-file., using Unity 4.03.

The display name of subscribers are (example):

Test, Peter (FA-444)

We tried to import that as follows:

Test','' 'Peter' '(FA-444)

and it didn't work, even

Test','Peter didn't work, the result was:

Test,' as display name.

Is this a problem, because of the missing SR1? When we add subscriber through web/sa the display name is not changed. Why does Unity change the display name?

Kind regards,

Axel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The specific bug that was fixed was if you were _importing_ an existing user in the directory, the display name on that account in AD was simply pulled in - the bug itself was that CUBI would reconstruct the display name based on it's own template rules which would cause all kinds of grief.

For creating new users, it still applies it's own limits on what it allows for alias/display name/first name etc... These rules are all configured in the ImportSpec.XML file that you'll find in the directory that the bulk import tool is running in. I believe the one you want is the "TextName32" or "TextName64" (I don't know what the differnce between these is and the guys responsible for this aren't around to ask today) - you'll find them defined at the top of the validation file - there's a regular expression that's setup to indicate which characters are allowed. You can see the curly brackets are included in the list of characters allowed by the regular expression.

I'm a little pressed for time or I'd sit down and fiddle with this on my local box and get it to work - I believe you can add a "|\(|" and a "|\)|" to the list of allowed characters in the regular expression there for those fields and then the import will allow them to go through. If you have trouble, ping me back - I'll have time to fiddle more tomorrow perhaps if you can't get this to fly.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is a known bug:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCec39114&Submit=Search

it's fixed in 4.0(3) SR1 an din 4.0(4).

Hi Jeff,

not really. We installed the SR1 and the following works:

"Test, Peter {FA-111}"

Is it possible to use normal brakets "()"?

Because

"Test, Peter (FA-111)"

didn't work. Any chance to use "()", our customers use it today like this and want to keep it.

Kind regards,

Axel

The specific bug that was fixed was if you were _importing_ an existing user in the directory, the display name on that account in AD was simply pulled in - the bug itself was that CUBI would reconstruct the display name based on it's own template rules which would cause all kinds of grief.

For creating new users, it still applies it's own limits on what it allows for alias/display name/first name etc... These rules are all configured in the ImportSpec.XML file that you'll find in the directory that the bulk import tool is running in. I believe the one you want is the "TextName32" or "TextName64" (I don't know what the differnce between these is and the guys responsible for this aren't around to ask today) - you'll find them defined at the top of the validation file - there's a regular expression that's setup to indicate which characters are allowed. You can see the curly brackets are included in the list of characters allowed by the regular expression.

I'm a little pressed for time or I'd sit down and fiddle with this on my local box and get it to work - I believe you can add a "|\(|" and a "|\)|" to the list of allowed characters in the regular expression there for those fields and then the import will allow them to go through. If you have trouble, ping me back - I'll have time to fiddle more tomorrow perhaps if you can't get this to fly.

Hi Jeff,

thank you for your help. This works. I extended the regexp and it works.

I think this is a workaround. My gernal question is: Why is the display-name modified?

We always talk about importing existing exchange 5.5 users!

Have a nice weekend,

Axel