cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you edit what Unity accepts for input?

netdoctor
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying use call handlers to allow a customer to enter a number that can be between 1 and 4 digits long. The problem is, unity will only allow either 1 digit input (caller input rules) or an extension that is at least 3 digits long. Does anyone know of a way to allow you to match a handler on a number shorter than 3 digits? We have to allow for the range of 1 to 1000 if possible. We can't seem to find any advanced settings that allow us to tweak this. Any thoughts would be helpful.

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

to clear this up. You are going to have 1-1000 call handlers?

For instances: check mark the box to ignore the "1" key. Then create extensions of 1000-1999 for your call handlers. So when some enters in 1435, Unity ignores the one key and waits for the enxt 3 digits. it should then look on it's internal map for the 4 digits if it's a valid transfer. If it is, a Transfer happens to that call handler with the ID of 1435. You could also do this with a Subscriber, but then you use up licenses.

not sure if this helps you...

Thanks for the input. What you're saying is definately the kind of thing we'd like to be able to have them do. The problem is they want the customer to be able to enter a single, double, triple, or 4 digit number (when they said they want 1-1000 they weren't just saying they need 1000 handlers, they specifically need handlers that repsond to 1-1000). From what I understand of Unity, this is really impossible since a handlers extension is supposed to be at least 3 digits. We're currently going to be havin them back fill all the numbers from 1 to 999 with 0s so that the numbers will be 4 digits long every time, they're just concerned that people might have a hard time getting the right number of 0s right. Then only way to accomplish exactly what they want is to have unity allow input of 2 and 1 digits in the extension field for the handler - which is looking very unlikely.

But after they enter in these digits, where does it take them to? A recording? A person? an ACD group of some sort? You might be better off getting some sort of Unified Messenging option that your customers can "speak" into the Call Handler, then route based on that input. Such as users calling up and your call handler default says "thanks for call company abc, please speak the department or option you are trying to reach." This would be a speech-enabled auto-attendant. I am not sure Cisco offers it. (I would hope so!)

Your other option would to just assign Subscribers to each of these 1000-1999. Subscriber "Human Resources" would be 1001, it could then tranfser to a menu, recording, or person (or ACD group of some sort) I'm not sure creating 1000 call handlers is the way to go...

My Bad. Personal Assistant (Cisco) has speech-enabled auto-attendant that you can use. You will still need to put an EXT to each end point, but the speech enabled should help you solve your issues.

Each day there are between 4 and 7 greetings or so that they will be sent to based on which handlre extension they hit. We are going to have them use the bulk edit tool to match up the handlers to the right greetings. We're either going to use a subscriber box at the end to play the message and then hang up (or play it again if they choose). IPCC would be the optimal choice for these people, but there a $$$ problem and there unfortunately won't be any discussion of further software, hardware, etc. to get this done.