Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM stress test tool

Bradut Dima
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a testing tool that can simulate 25000 users which are using Jabber to communicate through IM/PChat/Group Chat [no voice test needed at this point]. I wish I can run these tests on my local machine, to estimate the load on the database data extracting tools.

I was not able yet to find a CISCO dedicated stress tool, but I am sure that they may have one, similar to Microsoft which offers "Lync Server 2013 Stress and Performance Tool" and "Lync Server 2013 Persistent Chat Resource Kit Tools".

My research lead me to only two CISCO stress tools, but unfortunately both are internal, thus not available to users:

- Camelot

- Simclient is an internal tool that Cisco uses to stress the Call Manager

[Another user has asked a similar question on this forum 4 years ago, but got no answer.]

Could anyone please indicate me a CUCM stress tool?

Best regards,

Bradut

5 Replies 5

Prasad Paradkar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bradut,

This CUCM stress test is new to me but still you can check the SIPP tool.

sorry if you already tried that, just trying to help.

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have an internal load test tool I wrote to help test multiple cluster networks under load called MALLET (Multi Aspect Lab Load Exercise tool) - it creates/edits/removes users, distribution lists, contacts, partitions and such (i.e. things that need to be replicated around a network) and can also be configured to leave small and large messages as part of the ongoing load - this, of course, is not doing logins for GUI message clients but can be used to provide realistic (and highly unrealistic) loads on networks of servers reasonably easily.  Not sure if that's the type of thing you're looking for or if you're hoping for something to dial up web logins and message fishes under load instead.

Hi Lindborg,

Thank you for indicated MALLET.

I think it would address our need to flood the database with messages.

Can MALLET simulate that these messages are of multiple types, such as Im, PChat and Group Chat?

Also, could you please let us know how can we get this stress tool?

Regards,

Bradut

so a couple things here.

1. MALLET is for voice mail (Unity Connection) load only

2. I does voice mail traffic via SMTP drop folders (i.e. how messages are left when recording over the phone or replicating between Connection clusters in a network).  It does not exercise the web mailbox or Jabber pathways for messages.

3. MALLET is not intended for production systems! It can bring systems down to a crawl reasonably easily.

4. It's internal only so I didn't spend any time on a help file or training videos - I did "in person" training for the testing crews using it.

5. You can get it (at your own risk) here: http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/MALLET/MALLET.html

if you think it's something you're interested in using given all the above, I can put a quick TOI together (just a desktop screen cap with me yammering away) showing you how to use it and what it does.  It might be possible to exercise additional pathways for Connection (i.e. HTTP based message traffic via web client interfaces) but I'd have to research what that would mean.  It sounds like you may be wanting to exercise different messaging systems entirely which this may not help you with.

Hi lindborg

Thank you for your clarifications.

I thought that MALLET can be used for chat stress, but your first sentence "1. MALLET is for voice mail (Unity Connection) load only" helped me understand it is not.

After pretty intensive search and after contacting a few other companies, I conclude that currently there is no stress load tool for chat (simulating Cisco Jabber) publicly available.