Views
Helpful
Replies

Delay logging on to Unity

adeolu_adeoye
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Quite often, my users complain of long delays when they call into Unity to retrieve their voicemail. It normally occurs when they call in from the PSTN. So far, I do not know of any occurences of it within the AVVID network itself.

Is this something to do with Unity itself or with its integration into AD?

We run Unity 3.1.5 with Exchange 2000 off-box in a unified messaging scenario.

Thanks and best regards,

Ade

6 Replies 6

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

There are a lot of reasons this can happen. Calling in from the PSTN is likely not the cause however. It can have to do with the number of mailboxes Unity is monitoring, the size of the mailboxes the placement of the Exchange servers and the performance of the Exchange servers.

Your best bet for a first step is to upgrade to 4.0(4) and install the latest version of Exchange 2000 post-SP3 on the Unity server. Exchange 2000 post-SP3 has some upgraded MAPI code from Microsoft that 4.0(4) takes advantage of. 4.0(4) also makes use of search folders which cuts down on the time required to index mailboxes. Lastly is to make sure you don’t have any Exchange serves over a WAN link. We don’t support that type of configuration cause of the extra delay it adds.

If those steps don’t work it is likely a performance issue with the Exchange server which we can look at.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks Keith. I'll follow thru with your suggestions.

Best regards,

Ade

Hi Keith,

I have verified that our Exchange Server is OK. We also have SP3 installed. I believe that the size of mailboxes is indeed an issue as a 500MB inbox is not uncommon among our users. One user even has a 2GB inbox.

Even if we perform the upgrade, is it not likely that we could still have the problem again in the future?

Thanks and best regards,

Ade

Mailbox indexing times has been greatly reduced in 4.0(4) through the use of search folders. See the following defect:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdy36517

So yeah, 4.0(4) will help you.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith,

I was not able to view the link.

I do understand your point. What I would like to know is the threshold for acceptable indexing performance in 4.0(4)? For instance, is a 500MB mailbox considered huge? If a user's mailbox grows to 1GB, will 4.0(4) experience occassional logon delays?

Thanks and best regards,

Ade

Hi Keith,

I apologise. I was able to view the link eventually with my actual CCO login.