Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT Clarification

john-glass
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Quick DIRT Question just to make absolutely sure I set the expectations properly with the customer.

Customer has two unity servers in two locations - both in their OWN domain, NO UM. I want to use DIRT to backup one of the Unity servers, then re-isntall it so they are both in the same domain to take advantage of digital networking. If I use DIRT, will it be transparent? The last time I did this, I didn't think it kept the passwords of the users (phone), but the help file now says it does.

From what I've read, this looks like it'll be transparent - no data loss, nothing the client will notice after the work is completed. Would you agree?

Thanks!

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The help file contains the list of what's backed up and what's not - but all user data is preserved (including passwords). In your situation, though, you have to worry a little about alias overlap - not sure if you're naming convention across domains is nice and tidy, but I've seen a few situations where folks move systems into existing domains and are suprised by the fact that DiRT binds to an existing account in their directory - review the help's section on how account resolution is done (directory ID, then RDN then Alias and if no match is found a user is created on the fly).

If your naming convention is consistent then you should be good to go...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The help file contains the list of what's backed up and what's not - but all user data is preserved (including passwords). In your situation, though, you have to worry a little about alias overlap - not sure if you're naming convention across domains is nice and tidy, but I've seen a few situations where folks move systems into existing domains and are suprised by the fact that DiRT binds to an existing account in their directory - review the help's section on how account resolution is done (directory ID, then RDN then Alias and if no match is found a user is created on the fly).

If your naming convention is consistent then you should be good to go...

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate your input. I don't think we'll have an issue with the overlapping names for the particular site.

Cheers,

john