Views
Helpful
Replies

Install 78xx series phone pfofile on CUCM 8.6.2

CiscoDOJones
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Am running CUCM 8.6.2.22900-9,  the replacement phones we have been advised to purchase are the 78xx series, we currently have no device defaults for 78xx series on our CUCM.

Have download the individual 60mb cmterm-78xx.10-3-1-12.k3.cop.sgn firmware from Cisco site.  

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286285173&softwareid=282074288&release=10.3(1)

Whilst validating the file the Download status message appeared  "Error encountered: The selected file is not valid. MD5 has value: ........."

After a some investigation I found this 

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283782839&flowid=45898&softwareid=282204704&release=COP-Files&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest#sthash.YIHhwZ67.dpuf

"Refresh Upgrade COP file: For all upgrades from pre 8.6(x) to 8.6(x) and higher. This COP also permits the upgrade to recognize the unrestricted upgrade media or file. For use with CUCM, Unity Connection, or CUCMBE5K. "

Am installing this via the recommend GUI  via "CU OS administrator" --> software upgrades --> Install upgrade

This also fails as per the screen shot below.

Any suggestions / reasons / help why the file is not completing the installation?

I have downloaded the copy a couple of times and tried from different server locations. 

The hash value is the same from the error message and the Cisco download support site

thx in advance

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The file you're trying to install has absolutely nothing to do with what you're seeing. The snip you posted clearly says for PRE 8.(6), so does the README under the install section:

The active version is 8.5(x) or earlier.

You need to install ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

Hopefully you're not trying to install the FW to add support for new devices, as that simply won't work, and many times, installing FW before a DevPack, will only cause you troubles.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The file you're trying to install has absolutely nothing to do with what you're seeing. The snip you posted clearly says for PRE 8.(6), so does the README under the install section:

The active version is 8.5(x) or earlier.

You need to install ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

Hopefully you're not trying to install the FW to add support for new devices, as that simply won't work, and many times, installing FW before a DevPack, will only cause you troubles.

HTH

java

thanks Jamie,

Yeah I re-read the readme file again and noticed the ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn file.

that was installed successfully.

I have managed to install the cmterm-78xx.10-3-1-12.k3.cop.sgn successfully.

I have restarted the Cisco TFTP service.

Verifying the Firmware Load

You may verify the installation of the firmware as follows:

1. Log in to the Cisco Unified CM Administration web page. 

2. Under the Device menu, select Device Settings > Device Defaults.

3. Verify the new firmware image name is listed in the Load Information field for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7811/7821/7841/7861.

I do not see any Device Type for 78xx series phones  :( 

And that's what I just said...

"Hopefully you're not trying to install the FW to add support for new devices, as that simply won't work, and many times, installing FW before a DevPack, will only cause you troubles. "

Installing FW, HAS NEVER been the way to add new devices to CUCM, you need a DevicePack for that, and hope you won't have problems as you installed the FW before the actual devices were in the DB.

HTH

java

have I mis-read the Cisco UC Manager Device Package release notes (8.6(2)

Bottom of Page 7.

This Device Package is necessary to obtain configuration capability for new features and phone models. Otherwise individual device firmware are installed with individual device load Cisco Options Package file, or you can upload the individual device load files to the TFTP directory. After the new files are present in the TFTP folder, restart the TFTP service from the Cisco Unified Serviceability webpage. Then go to CCMAdmin>Device>DeviceSettings>DeviceDefaults and manually change the name of the load file (for specific devices) to the new load. Click Save. Reset the devices.

to me I read as  "if you do not want to install the Device package (750mb and a sys wide reboot) you can get the individual device profile (78xx series) and install just that profile.  A TFTP restart and that's it".

this not the case ?

No, that's not the case, your interpretation is very wrong.

DevPacks have two functions:

A) Add support for new endpoints, which means they will go and modify, and add entries), in several tables in the CUCM DB, and will require a MANDATORY cluster reboot

B) Add FW, which is what you posted. It only modifies the EXISTING device defaults page.

If you don't want to bulk add FW via DevPack, you do it manually (that would be a real interpretation of what you posted). And installing FW, does the exact same thing as B), it does not modify the DB to add support for new endpoints.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime

Can you explain about CUCM Device Package Compatibility matrix (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/matrix/CMDP_BK_CCBDA741_00_cucm-device-package-compatibility-matrix.pdf)

Can I upload latest device pack for new phone for my version CUCM ?

Or first time  I need use “matrix” and upload device pack according to the link above. And only after this add latest device pack ?

Sandro

Yes, you can install the latest one, the link mentions the minimum you need.

HTH

java