Views
Helpful
Replies

migrating from CME 10.5 to cucm virtual edition

lkd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I want to migrate my CME from hardware C2950 to virtual CUCM.

How does licensing work in this case? What do I need to order to get new cucm working with curre t CME router working as a voice gateway?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CUCM licensing can be quite complete, so the licences you need will depend on phone models and numbers, whether or no you have users who will each have multiple devices, whether you want additional applications like voice mail etc.  This is all essentially the same whether it's a new install or migration from another product.

However there are generally either promotions or migration SKUs allowing these licences to be purchased at a lower price if migrating from eligible products.  These promotions vary over time, and probably between territories as well - which is a good reason to suggest speaking to a Partner.  I'm also not in favour of giving out a detailed BOM in your RFQ unless you're completely familiar with the products and options, in doing so you may be tying the partner's hands as they will quote exactly what you asked for.

Regarding the 2951, if it's licensed for CME then that licence would support putting it into service as a voice gateway.  You may need a version upgrade depending on the CUCM version you choose.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Reach out to a local Cisco Partner with voice specializations or to your SE to find out if there are any current promotions you could leverage for the migration, or if you'd need to pay full price for this.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello

and thanks for your answer.

In fact i 'm searching for information to understand CISCO CUCM licensing  organisation to know what to order.

for example @zeuscyril gave a nice licensing options explanation here

if someone can help find the same explanation about CUCM licencing and what i need to order to build a virual CUCM infrastructure, using and existing C2951 router as a voice gateway

i will be very gratefull

Reach out to a local Cisco Partner with UC specializations or a Cisco Distributor and they'll assist you with that.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

hello thanks
but i would like to have informations from trusted pair before heading to partners...
sorry to say but have in recent past been overselled by partners...
this is why i'm trying to have myself a clear understanding before setting thins with partner so i'm will be able to challenge their proposal
and before i will be able to define a very specific RFP to send...for example i could be oversell a UWL Meeting....while a UWL Standard or even Basic will be sufficient...

CUCM licensing can be quite complete, so the licences you need will depend on phone models and numbers, whether or no you have users who will each have multiple devices, whether you want additional applications like voice mail etc.  This is all essentially the same whether it's a new install or migration from another product.

However there are generally either promotions or migration SKUs allowing these licences to be purchased at a lower price if migrating from eligible products.  These promotions vary over time, and probably between territories as well - which is a good reason to suggest speaking to a Partner.  I'm also not in favour of giving out a detailed BOM in your RFQ unless you're completely familiar with the products and options, in doing so you may be tying the partner's hands as they will quote exactly what you asked for.

Regarding the 2951, if it's licensed for CME then that licence would support putting it into service as a voice gateway.  You may need a version upgrade depending on the CUCM version you choose.