cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Old 2.46 Install to new 4.03 install (new Servers)

ilang
Level 1
Level 1

I have a current 2.46 install running exchange 5.5. They have recently purchased and installed a Win2k server with Exchnage 2k. The old Exchange 5.5 server is still up with about 10 mailboxes still on it. The Unity 2.46 server has about 175 mailboxes on it. The new Exch2k box has about 300 users on it.

The plan is to install a new Unity server with a failover server. This of course will be running 4.03 or .04.

My question is what is the best way to accomplish this migration? Should I move all the users to the Exchange 2k box, decommission the old Exch5.5 box, export the database, uninstall unity on the old unity box thereby "scrubbing" the unity properties from the existing users, import on a prepared Unity 4.03 box and hope for the best?

Any advice and or experiences would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The place to start is the Migration and Reconfiguration guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_book09186a0080222fdf.html

there's a section in there specifically on going from 2.x to 4.0(4) that covers the details of such a move.

Thanks Jeff this document will certainly be helpful. I guess my only point of confusion is the following:

Current Unity Box is homed to the Exchange 5.5 box, the new Unity Box will be homed to the new Exchange 2000 box. Should I anticipate any problems?

My thought was move all the Exchange accts homed on the current unity box to the exchange 5.5 box. Uninstall unity thereby removing the unity properties from the accounts. Can I then move the accts from the old exchange box to the new Exchange 2000 box and decommission both the old Unity and exchange 5.5 boxes?

Also can I pre-install and configure the new unity box and have it homed to the exchange 2000 box awaiting the import of the database?

Thanks!