Views
Helpful
Replies

Parenthesis in International Phone Numbers

Nick Van Haren
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Our company has the phone system outsourced and they are claiming that the below can only be fixed by adding each countries extension individually to the system and i just cant comprehend that. I know very little about the system but if you could share your knowledge on the following problem that would be greatly appreciated:

We are an international company and therefor call worldwide. Phone numbers from our customers are generally written in the following way: +31(0) 34 23 23 233. Jabber/UCM simply removes the parentheses and calls the complete number resulting in an unsuccessful call since the number should become +31 34 23 23 233. In my eyes a logical expression should be inserted into the system before the call is made that removes the parentheses and everything in it but according to our phone company they are only able to do this on a per country basis by adding something along the lines of:

If number is: +31 (0) xx xx xx xxx then turn that into: +31 xx xx xx xxx.

Doing this for every country in the world would seem very counter-intuitive for a phone system made by cisco.

Am i expecting to much from our phone system?

(UCM 10.5 if that matters).

3 Replies 3

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

I have implemented a couple of large enterprise systems on Cisco UC, I have never encountered anywhere where the customer or the local phone company has insisted to use the Phone numbers in the parenthesis.

Secondly, each country and region (except the NANP region) has their own version, e.g. in Ireland 01 is for Dublin and 074 is for Letterkenny (area code / STD Code / NSD Code).

Btw, I am still not sure if I understand what is the underlying issue here, could you please elaborate it a bit more?

Apologies if it was too vague, what im trying to state is the following:

Calling +31(0) 34 23 23 233 with jabber means it will call +310 34 23 23 233. Simply removing the parenthesis. What it should do in order to get the correct phone number is remove everything that is in those parenthesis making the phone number: +31 34 23 23 233.

How can we setup the above only then with every country code in the world?

Nick Van Haren
Level 1
Level 1

Bump