Hi anyone seen this?
I have a phone firmware upgrade to do and I done a test for 10, all ok, then I done 100, and 18 failed I looked at the devices and found that the TFTP address was set to 255.255.255.255 on the devices for both TFTP 1 and TFTP 2. ahhah I pointed atthe DHCP guy and said its your fault. We checked out the DHCP and all was well, we got a new phone plugged it in and all was well with that. We reset, restarted, unplugged, deleted from DHCP, nothing worked unless we go into the phone menu and release the DHCP manually from there, and then it got the right TFTP address and upgraded ok.
So I am 110 phones into a firmware upgrade of 4000 and 15% have failed, any ideas of how to get this to work without touching each phone? open to any ideas crazier the better at this point. It has mainly been 7941 phones so far but the customer has a mixture and it has been seen on a 7911 also.
The reason of becoming a TFTP address invalid on the phone is not known (based on TAC's answer) , however there are 2 workaround I could recommend:
I hope this can turn your fantasy on .
OOOH I like that second one I can get the device names from CUCM fiarly easliy based on the phones that don't have the default load after an upgrade.
But what application do you refer to that will do this for mutiple phones at a time? Any links to it supported or not would be great.
Sorry, I was miles away from computer last week...
Unfortunately that time I did not find any app for this purpose on the market, so decided to write my own. The main request was to make it available for multiple users from different locations (we controll the access through CUCM roles), therefore I used php to implement the functionality.
If you need, I can provide some pseudo code on how I achieved.
I found another way out of this situation. If you change the IP helper address on the Voice VLAN to that of the TFTP after the phones have an IP address then reset the phones from the CUCM and the affected phones do then contact the TFTP server via the broadcast message the send out and upgrade (if you have already upgraded the firmware load on CUCM correctly). When they upgrade past 8.4.2S then this issues clears. In fact 8.4.2S is the only version I have tried and I only had faulty 7911's and 7941's.
the only advise I can give on this is that you need to remove all of the IP helper address configured first (or I did in my case) and if using a HSRP pair of routers/layer 3 switches then in our tests the active one should be changed, but anyone that knows about HSRP will suggest that this is wrong as both routers will forward the broadcast request and they do (I have tested with a sniffer ) but for some reason in my system it when it was added to the standby it didn't work when I moved to the active it did, I dunno I recon it should have worked on both but I'm no expert on HSRP.
I just ran into this issue. The changing of the IP helper (we actually just added an additional IP helper) pointing to the CUCM server worked great for me. We had 50+ remote sites with a handful of phones at each having this issue. Great tip !