cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems adding Subscriber in Unity 2.4.0 b120

james.kearney
Level 1
Level 1

I know I'm one of the last of the dinosaurs out there, but I'm hoping someone can lend a hand with this issue.

Lately I have encountered an issue where I cannot add a new subscriber via the SA. When creating a new subscriber, the SA will return 'An unrecognized error has occurred'. This happens if I use an existing exchange account or if I even create an internet subscriber. Nothing is logged in the event log when this occurs.

Someone else on these forums had a similar problem, and it was suggested that it may be a permissions issue (more on that later). The workaround involved using the 'Import' utility to create the subscriber.

I followed this idea and the import utility appeared to create the subscriber without issue. The SA showed the subscriber properties, and all appears well.

However, when contacting the subscriber via phone, Unity returns the failsafe 'Sorry, this system is temporarily unable to complete your call..".

Looking into the matter, this error causes the following events to be logged:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 10002

Date: 4/30/2004

Time: 9:41:15 AM

User: N/A

Computer: TELCO

Description:

GetActiveContactRule() returned [0x80070057] on line 189 of file h:\commsvr\Sources\AvConvPhoneHandler\AvConvPHTransferSvr\AvSLoadInfo.cpp

Running conversation PHTransfer on Port 3

...and...

Event Type: Error

Event Source: AvConvMsg_MC

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 10002

Date: 4/30/2004

Time: 9:41:15 AM

User: N/A

Computer: TELCO

Description:

IAvScheduler::GetScheduleMode returned [0x80070057] on line 633 of file h:\commsvr\Sources\AvConvPhoneHandler\AvConvPHTransferSvr\AvSLoadInfo.cpp

Running conversation PHTransfer on Port 3

Looking closer at the subscriber properties in the SA, I note that this particular user's 'Caller Input' map is completely empty.

Running DBWalker shows:

Handler Alias=ch_JDoe

Extension=170

Location Object Alias=(error) - Invalid location object link

Handler owner alias=JDoe

Handler is an orphan of a mail user removed from the system... it should be removed.

Handler message recipient alias=JDoe

Handler is an orphan of a mail user removed from the system... it should be removed.

Handler location object alias=(error) Invalid location object reference

(error) in CheckAfterGreetingDestination function =Object variable or With block variable not set

pressing ahead

(error) in CheckAfterGreetingDestination function =Object variable or With block variable not set

pressing ahead

This goes on (more than I can fit in this post) and basically lists every property of the subscriber and that the properties are not set. It appears that the Import utility is only partially creating the subscriber.

Running DBWalker with the 'Fix' boxes checked removes this subscriber from the directory.

One of my thoughts were there may be a problem with the user templates. Looking at the temnplates in SA shows that they too are missing the 'Caller Input' default fields. Attempts to delete or create a new template are met with "Page Cannot be Displayed" errors in IE.

Our server configuration is Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on Windows 2000 Server SP4. Unity is running on it's own machine (Proliant 800). The mailbox stores are held on another identical Proliant 800. The Exchange servers are in an NT4 domain, and the user accounts are on a mixed-mode Active Directory domain. Trusts are established between the two domains (2-way). The Exchange service account and Unity service accounts are the same, and the SA has domain admin privilages on the Exchange domain. I doubt the A/D has anything to do with the problem, as all processes are executed within the security context of the NT4 domain.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

-James

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, there may be multiple issues at play here but at a minimum you definitely have corrupted subscriber templates.

Unfortunately back in 2.4.0 there were not really any decent tools for dealing with this easily on a standing system without losing your default configuration data other than doing it manually through DOHPropTest which is not for beginners or the faint of heart. Even in 2.4.6 there were some better functions in the ConfigMgr that let you rebuild some of this from scratch.

I don't even have a 2.4.0 system or CDs to build one - I'd have to travel over to the arvhives - that's a real blast from the past. You may want to take this opportunity to consider making the leap to 4.x now...

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, the existing system is in place for 'just one more year' and is budgeted for upgrade in Q105. Trust me, it's not by choice that I'm using 2.4 :).

As far as rebuilding the user profiles, I don't expect anyone to hold my hand, here. However, if you could point me to a resource, whitepaper or documentation to get me started, it would be appreciated immensely.

If there was a doc, I'd certainly point you to it - for 3.0(x) and later there's tech tips for this since there are tools to help you out. Basically you have to go into DOHPropTest and manually create the subscriber templates (which reference call handlers which reference greetings and contact rules etc...) - it's moderately messy and requires you have a pretty good understanding of our object model - I'm not even sure I'd be able to walk you through it myself without getting one installed in front of me to stumble around on.

You can check the ConfigMgr.exe application (in the \commserver\ directory) to see if there happens to be a script there for recreating the default objects - you could get lucky. I honestly don't remember when that script got added in there. This will blow away your default objects (opening greeting, operator call handler, example admin, routing rules, schedules etc...) and put them back to defaults - it should also recreate the subscriber templates.

Big warning here - at one point this would also blow away the entire configuration (i.e. all your stuff would get wiped out) but I think that was back in 2.3 land - I'td been some time since I've fiddled in this arena so I can't recall what you have to work with here.

Back in 2.4 the ConfigMgr.exe required that you manually select the script in question (i.e. no snappy radio buttons to help you here as in later versions) - somewhere in that script directory there was something called something to the effect of "recreateDefaultObjects" or something - if you see something like that in there you may be able to do that. If not, you have to do the manual thing and I'd be hard pressed to get you any instructions on how to do that...