cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Cannot create file: VoiceMessage.wav"

csco10709758
Level 1
Level 1

I have one user that intermittently receives the above popup when attempting to open a UM. He can listen to the message through the phone and he can forward the message and it can then be opened. We are running Unity 4.0(4) and Exchange 2003.

Any thoughts on what to check for this single user? Thanks!

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

I just did an internal search of case history and defects and there isn't a single match. You'll probably need to contact whoever supports the email client to get to root cause.

Thanks,

Keith

whitman1
Level 1
Level 1

Edit: Heh, I didn't realize this was a 6 year old post...  Oh well, hopefully this helps someone else out there.

---------------------------

We've had this problem a few times with users using Windows Vista and 7 with Office 2007.  It appears to be a problem with how Outlook (or perhaps Windows Vista and 7) handle multiple files with the same filename.  Generally when a file gets put into a place where a file with the same name exists Windows will tack a (n) onto the end of it (n being a number, starting at 0).  The problem you're experiencing starts when a file exists when n=99.  Windows apparently refuses to go any higher than 99, and so you must delete those files.

Outlook saves VoiceMessage.wav in Outlook's temporary downloads folder where it puts all of your attachments.  In Vista (and 7, IIRC), that path is C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ (where is a random string of letters and numbers).  Generally what I've had to do is close Outlook and go in and delete all of the VoiceMessage.wav files.  Once those are gone you can open up Outlook again and everything will be fixed.

I've never had this problem on my own computer, but it does happen to other users on our network.  My first thought is that the folder is supposed to be cleared out every once in a while and either that's not happening or they're getting more than 100 VoiceMessages between the times it's supposed to be cleared out.

In my initial troubleshooting I also noticed that Outlook would actually create two VoiceMessage.wav files each time I tried to listen to a VoiceMessage, and once I was done with the file I think it would only delete one copy (I _think_, but can't remember for sure right now).  I expect that is the biggest part of the problem.

Hope this helps.

bbiandov
Level 1
Level 1

So in the absence of any Outlook fix can Unity start naming those WAV files randomly using some unique ID for the file name? That will most defenitely fix the problem.

Otherwise we are stuck with clearning the temp folder and doing that over and over again. Even with a nice GUI tool like this we are talking NON-permanent solution:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/products/outlooktempcleaner.htm