cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Saved message duration and .wav format

j.bilodeau
Level 1
Level 1

Unity vm 4.0.3. User as received a threat message that is actually saved. First, with non unified and no smtp, is there an easy way to get this message as a .wav file? Second, I would like to be sure that this saved message will not be automatically delete. How can I be sure of that?

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, Unity will never automatically delete anything on its own - unless you're running an external tool such as Message Store Manager to run through and remove messages based on rules, the message is not going to be removed.

2nd, you'll have to get the message via a desktop client - install Outlook on another box and point it at the mailbox of the user in question using an account that has rights (i.e. the account associted with the AvCsMgr service on the Unity box) - the messages are saved as straight WAV files in G711 MuLaw playable on any Windows box. You can get the message and save the WAV file off to wherever you want.

NOTE - if you have VM only this is technically violating your license. To do this properly you'd want to pay for some Unity Inbox licenses that let you get at mailboxes from a web based client. Presumably you don't have any of those and you need this sooner rather than later. It'd be a good idea to pony up for a couple of those if you want to be able to deal with this legally down the road. You can see more about how to use the web inbox in the users guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps4608/c1626/ccmigration_09186a00801b9254.pdf

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The email message is not automatically default unless you have configured Message Store Manager or some other third party tool to clear it.

You didn't mention what version of exchange is running. You could connect via Outlook Web Access using

http://exchange-svr-name/exchange/alias/inbox

the only variables are exchange-svr-name and alias.

You could also use outlook express to connect to Exchange's POP3 to save the message.

H. M.