Views
Helpful
Replies

SQL client tools, MSDE install

JimSJ
Level 4
Level 4

Unity 4.0(4) Unified Messaging

I have been asked to work on some servers that did not have SQL client tools installed during their install. They are relatively small and run MSDE. What if any implications are there to installing SQL client tools after the server is already installed and running? I believe that it will stop MSDE and require a reboot, is there anything else I should be aware of before trying to load this?

Thanks,

Jim

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's licensing issues installing those tools on an MSDE server (Enterprise Manager and QueryBuilder are not licensed for that).

You can use CUDLE (the Data Link Explorer) in the Tools Depot for most things you'd use those tools for - it has a query builder in it, it lets you run stored procs, has a data explorer in it etc... if you find there's something you need to do on an MSDE system you can't do with that, let me know...

I'll check out CUDLE, but I ask because in the Unity 4.0(4) installation guide, it seems to indicate on page 5-5 (55 of 182 in the PDF) that this is a standard part of the installation procedure. I believe this is under the CUSPA heading. Is this not correct?

Thanks,

Jim

Edit: I should also mention that the reason I'm looking to load client tools is bug CSCeh01218, disk running out of space from transaction logs. The workarounds listed in the bug tool indicate items to examine/change in Enterprise Manager. I've just loaded CUDLE, I'll try to find a way to duplicate the workarounds with it.

I think the legal boys and girls may have gotten Enterprise Manager permission from MS for MSDE but I'm nearly certain Query Builder is not allowed... but I'll have to make some checks to be sure.

Ahh ok. Well if just the Enterprise Manager option is selected, are there any functional concerns beyond MSDE being stopped and needing a reboot afterwards?

Thanks,

Jim