cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to import users into Unity if already added to another Unity server?

ryabutler
Level 1
Level 1

Help!

We have a Unity 7 server at one location (lets call it LOC-1).  We have built a new Unity 7 server at a new location (LOC-2).

The Unity server at LOC-1 will be turned off soon.

My problem is this ... All subscribers are currently added to the Unity server at LOC-1.

But I am unable to import those same subscribers into the new Unity server at LOC-2.  Meaning the user account I want to add into Unity it's not listed.  It only shows users (with Exchange accounts) who are not added into Unity.  All users added to other Unity server are NOT listed.

It gives me the impression that I can only add subscribers to one Unity server in the domain.

Therefore, what can I do to import users into the new Unity server at LOC-2, while the other Unity server (at LOC-1) is still connected?

What are my options?

Thank you!

-rya

7 Replies 7

Brad Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rya,

The easiest way is to get a COBRAS export of LOC-1 and restore the data to LOC-2.  The COBRAS help covers this type of common migration question here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc276653831

Hope that helps,

Brad

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not sure what tools exist to migrate users from one Unity to another, but I do know of this one tool, that removes the Unity properties from the user, so that they are visible in the import wizard.  You could also search that site for other tools that may help you.

Help

http://ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Unity/RemoveSubscriberPropertiesFromAD/Help/RemoveSubscriberProperties.htm

Download

http://ciscounitytools.com/Applications/Unity/RemoveSubscriberPropertiesFromAD/RemoveSubscriberPropertiesFromAD.html

EDIT: Brad is the man!

+5 for you Mr. Anthony!

I cannot believe these words came out of my mouth...or fingertips.

I'm not sure what tools exist to migrate users from one Unity to another...

Like I've never heard of COBRAS or something.  Oh man, it's one of those days.

Sorry I'm back.  Thank you gentlemen, I also gave you two +5!  Thats why I like this site.

Now a following since I haven't used COBRAS a lot compared to DiRT.  So to understand this better.

COBRAS Export can backup/export a subscriber including its locationID I'm assuming.  Lets say I export only userX from Unity-A.

If I go to Unity-B, using COBRAS Import to import userX that should work?  Even though userX also exist on Unity-A?

Is that correct?

Thank you!

-rya

Rya,

To answer your question directly, no.  COBRAS does not back up any location information, however, it does get subscriber object ID's.  In a nutshell,  what is going to happen when you install LOC-2 into the  environment, it's automatically going to sync in all of the subscribers  into its GlobalSubscriber table from AD, as belonging to LOC-1 as long  as its still the "owner" of these subscribers.  If you try and run  COBRAS import on that new server, it's going to recognize the subscriber  object ID's in your backup that you're trying to import, already exist  in the GlobalSubscriber table and it'll not allow you to proceed.

The link I sent you explains your two options.  You either:

1.  use GSM tool to move the users from old server to new (this takes care of remapping the subscriber properties including locationobjectID to the new server), or

2.  bulk delete every one of the users from the old server.  This deletes all subscribers locally on LOC-1 and proceeds to delete all Unity properties from the user objects in AD, which then replicates between other DC's in your environment and eventually LOC-2 will see those deletions and purge all of these users from its GlobalSubscriber table thus allowing them to be imported on a different Unity server.

Moral of the story, unless you move the users or delete them first, COBRAS will not allow you to run it since it can cause massive problems with users existing in two places.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Thank you!

-rya