cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7.1.5 Cluster and Upgrade to 10.X on UCS-Question about DRS -Restore

Amarjeet Saini
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

We have Unity Connection 7.x cluster. 

As suggested in the DRS backup guide, there are different backup schedules and network paths configured for taking backup of each server.

A. Full backup of the Publisher goes to network path A.

B. Full backup of the Subscriber server goes to network path B.

Here's my confusion and the questions:

1. When I see the backup device and backup schedule, it doesn't mention any option about backing up one server or both. So, I am assuming each instance  does a complete backup. 

2. Isn't backup from publisher server enough for a complete restore of Pub and SUB CUC database, messages, greetings etc?

3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, then what's the need of taking backup from subscriber?

4. If the answer to question 2 is no, do, these servers store messages, greetings separate from each other?

5. When we upgrade to CUC 10.X, do we need to restore publisher and subscriber separately?

Exactly how the restore process should work. 

Any inputs will greatly help.

Regards,

Amarjeet

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

1. When I see the backup device and backup schedule, it doesn't mention any option about backing up one server or both. So, I am assuming each instance  does a complete backup. 

Ans: Yes, that is correct, the each DRS backup takes (presuming you have selected all the options) complete backup

2. Isn't backup from publisher server enough for a complete restore of Pub and SUB CUC database, messages, greetings etc?

Ans: Yes. it is

3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, then what's the need of taking backup from subscriber?

Ans:It is just in case the Publisher is no longer available, you can still take the backup from the Subscriber (I have done it myself, however not sure what TAC exactly says about it.)

4. If the answer to question 2 is no, do, these servers store messages, greetings separate from each other?

Ans: No, the database is exactly the same among all the servers in a given cluster, or atleast it should be.

5. When we upgrade to CUC 10.X, do we need to restore publisher and subscriber separately?

No. You dont have to, after restoring the publisher, just restart the whole cluster.

Btw, are you upgrading CXN 9.x to 10.x, if yes, then, the best approach is to do a COBRAS backup, install a new instance and restore the COBRAS restore (keeping the voicemails is not recommended)

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Ans: Yes, that is correct, the each DRS backup takes (presuming you have selected all the options) complete backup

Ans: Yes. it is

Ans:It is just in case the Publisher is no longer available, you can still take the backup from the Subscriber (I have done it myself, however not sure what TAC exactly says about it.)

Ans: No, the database is exactly the same among all the servers in a given cluster, or atleast it should be.

No. You dont have to, after restoring the publisher, just restart the whole cluster.

Btw, are you upgrading CXN 9.x to 10.x, if yes, then, the best approach is to do a COBRAS backup, install a new instance and restore the COBRAS restore (keeping the voicemails is not recommended)

HTH

Amarjeet Saini
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Wilson.

You have provided exactly what I needed.

Thanks again.

Amarjeet